General oil filter change

Currently reading:
General oil filter change

hey my cars oil is realy low so i was gona drain the little amount iv got in there (so not to mix the oil) and buy some new oil. Basically with new oil comes a new filter. I know where it is in my engine(its a round blue cylinder and also says oil filter on it:p ) i just need to know if theres anything i have to know when replacing it as i havent done it before, any guides would help, do i just take it off and stick the new 1 on or is there any oil leakage involved? cheers.

Hi mate.

Drain the oil first through the sump plug. Then undo the filter (at this point there will be some remaining oil leaking out of the filter, so try not to let it go all down your arm!!(y) ) The take your new filter. Put some fresh oil in it (bout half full) and then put some fresh oil on your finger and rub it around the rubber seal on the filter (this will help lubricate the seal whilst tightening up the filter) Then screw the filter back on (only hand tight) and then just by 1/4 of a turn more. The refill the engine with oil.
On my scoob i disconnect the crank sensor and turn the engine over a few times just to get the oil pressure uo before starting, but you dont need to, thats just me being picky!
Jobs a goodun! (y)

Not a prob... bet you get oil all down your arm! I've changed so many filters its ridiculous! Still nearly always get oil down me arm!! lol

Good luck

hey guys just joined...problem with my oil as well...now i dunno if its the sump or oil filter but its leakin oil...wen i put oil in it just leaks and when i drive on the link then doin 100kph theres think black smoke comin outta my exhaust and the smell of the buring oil is horrible...ive been told its my oil filter...but wat do ye think? sump or oil filter? i bought a new one yesterday but said id come on here to see do you no the problem because if so it is the oil filter ill fit it tomorrow and hope for the best...open to replys...thanks guys ;)

hey guys just joined...problem with my oil as well...now i dunno if its the sump or oil filter but its leakin oil...wen i put oil in it just leaks and when i drive on the link then doin 100kph theres think black smoke comin outta my exhaust and the smell of the buring oil is horrible...ive been told its my oil filter...but wat do ye think? sump or oil filter? i bought a new one yesterday but said id come on here to see do you no the problem because if so it is the oil filter ill fit it tomorrow and hope for the best...open to replys...thanks guys ;)

Check under the oil filler cap for white residue. Get your car up on some axel stands and have a look, you'll be able to tell if its your sump or oil filter leaking because they will be covered in oil. When you open the bonnet does it look as if there is a oil leak? ie. everywhere covered in new oil?

Check under the oil filler cap for white residue. Get your car up on some axel stands and have a look, you'll be able to tell if its your sump or oil filter leaking because they will be covered in oil. When you open the bonnet does it look as if there is a oil leak? ie. everywhere covered in new oil?
emm no theres just a puddle of oil on the floor falling from the sump or oil filter...the drops are falling from the sump but i think there firstly falling from the oil filter and then hittin the sump and falling...

emm no theres just a puddle of oil on the floor falling from the sump or oil filter...the drops are falling from the sump but i think there firstly falling from the oil filter and then hittin the sump and falling...

Just change the oil filter then, get it up on some axel stands, and do it yourself. Change oil while your at it obviously.

when fitting the new filter, put a bit of new oil around the seal and that should help stop it from leaking as it creates a seal.

Just change the oil filter then, get it up on some axel stands, and do it yourself. Change oil while your at it obviously.

when fitting the new filter, put a bit of new oil around the seal and that should help stop it from leaking as it creates a seal.
yup fitted the new oil filter earlier and new oil and no leakage so far ;) the oil filter looked like it was tampered with and was quiet damaged...hopefully my mpg will go up as well...im only gettin 33mpg...wat should i be gettin do you no? thanks for ur help

yup fitted the new oil filter earlier and new oil and no leakage so far ;) the oil filter looked like it was tampered with and was quiet damaged...hopefully my mpg will go up as well...im only gettin 33mpg...wat should i be gettin do you no? thanks for ur help

if it's the 8v, you should get about 46mpg, if its a 16v about 43mpg :)

Back