General Oil extraction via dipstick

Currently reading:
General Oil extraction via dipstick

eBay item 392336941695 looks pretty nice. Its buyer be scared of course but it's not sucking air so noise should be reasonable.

I use a Pela hand operated pump for oil extraction and have done for a few of years now. I use this on the 1.1 ECO with no issues and am satisfied with the results. I also use this method our other car (non-Fiat). My only tip would be to get a feel for how the extraction pipe inserts into the dipstick tube and how it feels as it hits the sump. The first time I used the Pela on the Panda I noticed I could force the tube too far and felt it curling over at the bottom of the sump if too much force was used. Just go easy and as soon as you feel the resistance or hear the tube hitting the sump stop. The Pela pipe is reinforced with a coil of metal so it is quite easy to feel the progress through the dipstick tube into the sump.

My reason I switched to extraction rather than draining was related to the weak threads in the alloy sump of my of Alfa 147. After many oil changes I decided gambling on whether the sump plug would go back in an seal correctly wasn't worth it anymore!

I cannot guarantee extraction is better or worse than draining the oil but as you can hear a strong sucking sound as the last of the oil comes out, like sucking on a straw to get the last of the milk out of your glass when you were a kid, I am pretty satisfied extraction gets as much as the oil out as possible.

Back