Technical Oil cooler restriction

Currently reading:
Technical Oil cooler restriction

Someone told me not to use a oil cooler as well as a filter as it will kill oil pressure anyone had experience with this

Hi Navo, Don't believe all you hear, you have done the right thing to ask on here. I use a spin on filter and a cooler in my set up - NEVER had a problem with oil pressure and running temperatures at any time of the year. The reason people on here use the mod referred to is because it works. The only reason(s) you could have low oil pressure are if you don't complete the mod correctly and if you have a worn oil pump. (y)(y)(y)
Ian.

Hi Navo, Don't believe all you hear, you have done the right thing to ask on here. I use a spin on filter and a cooler in my set up - NEVER had a problem with oil pressure and running temperatures at any time of the year. The reason people on here use the mod referred to is because it works. The only reason(s) you could have low oil pressure are if you don't complete the mod correctly and if you have a worn oil pump. (y)(y)(y)
Ian.

Thanks mate thought I would ask the masses haha I've drilled the 2.5mm whole as recommended

Thanks mate thought I would ask the masses haha I've drilled the 2.5mm whole as recommended

Pleasure to help, I will say this though, if you are going to use a spin-on filter be careful with your actual filter choice as there is little room below the exhaust pipe. I use a moto guzzi engine filter - UFI 2314900. It is a low level filter that fits a treat, I do need to use some filter pliers to get them off though as getting a good grip can be difficult. It can be a messy job too as the filter is upside-down lots of cleaning towel required !!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Ian.

Pleasure to help, I will say this though, if you are going to use a spin-on filter be careful with your actual filter choice as there is little room below the exhaust pipe. I use a moto guzzi engine filter - UFI 2314900. It is a low level filter that fits a treat, I do need to use some filter pliers to get them off though as getting a good grip can be difficult. It can be a messy job too as the filter is upside-down lots of cleaning towel required !!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Ian.

Do you happen to have a picture of your set up at al?

Attachments

• IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 49
Yep, see pics.
Ian.
Ian i might have asked you again but i don't remember, is the fan effective? I mean what is the difference before and after fan turn to on. In my case when i moved my radiator at the bottom of the car, below the rear seat the difference was about the degrees C down, but of course i was running without a fan. Now i am thinking to wrap the radiator with alum foil because i can barely get 80 degrees Celsius, maybe less than 70 on 20min runs.

Ian i might have asked you again but i don't remember, is the fan effective? I mean what is the difference before and after fan turn to on. In my case when i moved my radiator at the bottom of the car, below the rear seat the difference was about the degrees C down, but of course i was running without a fan. Now i am thinking to wrap the radiator with alum foil because i can barely get 80 degrees Celsius, maybe less than 70 on 20min runs.
Hi Thomas, sorry for the delay I have been visiting family and been off the grid!!!! To answer your question Yes the fan is effective at maintaining temperature, but remember that I also use a thermostat to control the oil flow through the cooler - it will not allow oil to flow below 80degC and then the cooller fan is controlled by a thermo switch that starts the fan at 95degC and stops it at 80degC So The temperature is maintained between these values. It does sound as if your cooler is very effective and because the oil is flowing through it all the time there does not seem to be much warm-up for the oil. I think your idea of wrapping it will improve things, try half wrapping first and then more if necessary. let me know how you get on please.
Ian.

Back