Today I am going to show you how the change the oil on a 1.3 Multijet Diesel, this will apply to both the 75bhp and the 90bhp versions.

You will need:
  • a set of car ramps [you could use a jack and axle stands, its just more hassle]
  • a 6 point [hex] 27mm socket to undo the oil filter housing
  • a hex or torx bit to undo the sump plug - they vary, mine is a T45 Torx which is quite odd for this application.
  • rags
  • gloves to protect your hands, the carbon in diesel engine oil is disgusting and hard to clean off.
  • something to catch the old oil in, I used a large plastic fuel can with the top front cut off, its very hand as it can be used to easily pour the oil into another container afterwards.
    003.jpg
  • your new oil, and filter.

Start by clearing the area you are working in of pets etc, and prepare to get the car onto the ramps

001.jpg

When its on the ramps, chok the rear wheels [sorry, didnt take a pic of this, I used a block of wood]

002.jpg

Under the car, locate the sump plug

004.jpg

Get your catch can in place

005.jpg

Undo the sump plug, for the last few threads you sort of need to do so in such a way that the oil doesnt pour down your arm when its free of the sump.

006.jpg

Let the oil drain

009.jpg

Its worth looking at the sump plug, to see if theres any metal particles stuck to it, mine was good.

010.jpg

Now, back to the top of the engine, locate the oil filler, and to the right of it [looking into the engine bay] the filter housing.

008.jpg

Remove the filler cap

Remove the filter housing, it will be quite firm, beware that its made of plastic so a 6point socket is the best fit, a 12pt will just round the edges of the fitting off.

011.jpg

012.jpg

With this undone, more oil will pour out below, retrieve the plastic cap and remove the filter and set it to the side for now.

015.jpg

016.jpg

When all the oil has drained, give the area around the sump plug a clean and refit the sump plug.

013.jpg

Check we are all done under here - yes.

014.jpg

Back to the oil filter, get your new one out and make sure its the same, on mine there is a little plastic fitting in the top of the old filter, you need to transfer this to new filter.

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Place the new filter into the housing on the engine.

020.jpg

The housing cap, needs to have a new O Ring fitted, this should come with the filter, hook the old one off, and put new back on.

021.jpg

Refit the housing over the filter, it will all line up aas you screw it back on, sometimes you can clip the filter to the top housing to make this easier, screw the housing down and when it stops turning, give it around a 1/4 of a turn just to make it tight, remember its plastic, you will know when its tight.

022.jpg

Now its time to pour the new oil in, check your filter is done and proper, check the sump plug is done and proper.

I use a brake fluid bottle with the bottom cut off, and a gearbox oil can filler on it, the spout is quite small so the oil takes a little time to drain through, if you pour the oil directly into the oil filler it will blob up and leak all over the place, it doesnt like oil being poured in very quick, so my spout works well keeps things clean.

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

3.5L of oil is whats recommended, leave it a few mins to settle and check your levels, top up if required, if overfilled it will be ok as long as its not too much.

Finally, refit oil cap, check around, and start it up, just check for leaks.

026.jpg

Remove car from ramps and clear up.

I use a 25L container to pour my used oil into, we have two cars here and a couple of oil changes a year, when its full I take it to the tip and pour it into the waste oil tank.

Old filter and its packet get put into the none recyclable waste bin.

DONE!
Reactions: ben and amorace