General Oil change 1.2 petrol

Currently reading:
General Oil change 1.2 petrol

Boanerges

I fancy doing an interim oil change having done 6k since last service, don't want to push it another six months before annual dealer service and already a black colour. Also costs too much at dealers just for a simple oil and filter change. Has anyone done one on the 1.2? It's the same engine as in the Punto I used to have so probably a nightmare to get the filter off as it sits close to the engine block, on the Panda it looks even more intimate in there. I notice the daft Fiat design when you pull out the oil filler 'bung' the metal baffle immediately inside means you can't pour oil in quickly as it all comes back on you. Learnt this the hard way once :mad:
May get some decent 10/40 semi synthetic and save myself a packet on the official Fiat oil - has anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers(y)

Its torture trying to change the filter-leave it to the professionals,you could get it done at an independent garage cheaply.;)

Quick update. I tackled the job yesterday. Bought some Magnatec and oil filter from car parts supplier. It was a Fram PH5949 and much smaller than the one I previously used on the 1.2 8 valve in the Punto. When I crawled underneath I realised why, the filter is really tight in against the engine block and the end about one inch from the big cat thing on the exhaust downpipe. Can't get a chain remover to fit round due to narrow gap between sump joint and filter, no way you can use an end fitting extractor tool either. Managed by using a large pair of 'Stilson' adjustable wrench which gently got it moving. Apart from that the same sump plug with recessed square hole needing male socket to remove. Nice to know fresh oil going round for another 6,000 miles. Especially if the filter is so small (smaller than a coke can).

watch out if its under warranty, they will void your warranty if they find non original parts on your car, however its different when fiat do that :rolleyes:

Quick update. I tackled the job yesterday. Bought some Magnatec and oil filter from car parts supplier. It was a Fram PH5949 and much smaller than the one I previously used on the 1.2 8 valve in the Punto. When I crawled underneath I realised why, the filter is really tight in against the engine block and the end about one inch from the big cat thing on the exhaust downpipe. Can't get a chain remover to fit round due to narrow gap between sump joint and filter, no way you can use an end fitting extractor tool either. Managed by using a large pair of 'Stilson' adjustable wrench which gently got it moving. Apart from that the same sump plug with recessed square hole needing male socket to remove. Nice to know fresh oil going round for another 6,000 miles. Especially if the filter is so small (smaller than a coke can).

I know this is an old thread but I was reading it last night and have this evening changed the oil in my 100 HP. For anyone who's interested: there is massive amounts of room around the oil filter on the 100HP, very easy to get off and replace. A 10mm socket and star driver are required for the sump guard, 17mm socket for the sump plug, reasonable wrist strength to turn the oil filter off by hand :)

Last edited:
Back