Technical Oil catch tanks and fuel Swirl pots?

Currently reading:
Technical Oil catch tanks and fuel Swirl pots?

Ok to all you motorsport people out there...

Worth fitting these to my Turbo Cinq :confused: ..

Main thinking for the Swirl pot is that I plan on doing trackdays and don't wanna suffer fuel starvation on the corners...

Any opinions welcome (y)

If you are fitting an oil catch tank/breather, it might be advisable to vent the crankcase staright from the sump, would mean welding a tube to the sump, but it is usually worth doing.

Fuel swirl pots, now there is an interesting question, where are you planning on putting it? Have you ever suffered fuel starvation whilst cornering hard?

Fuel starvation- Not as of yet but then I haven't taken it to the track yet..

Guess the real answer would be see if it actually has any problems before messing about with it :eek:

There was a good article in practical performance car, about fuel swirl pots, and depending on the location, they can give some interesting results. The best I can say is keep the tank topped up, I usually go and refuel at the lunch break, admittedly I am usually getting close to empty by then :eek:

The cinquecento fuel gauge makes me chuckle, the way it dances with cornering effort, it gives the car a character, I missed it when i moved away, and was pleased to see it again when i came back.

I will be fitting an oil catch/breather tank next week or so and its interesting that it was mentioned about having a breather on the sump, as i know that is how Emma's turbo cinq will be once complete, in fact i've seen the sump all marked up to be cut for the breather pipe to be welded on.

Aaron.

Im not just a furry woodland creature :D

I have not seen any plans for Ems turbo, so I didnt pinch it from there it was from a rather good book, no 4 stroke tuning theory i read a few years ago.

arc said:
what advantage does a catch tank have over just dumping it out via a filter?

You dont dump oil onto the track is one, and the other it is an emissions test requirement to catch oil vapours and not discharge them to the atmosphere. By using a catch tank, if you are blowing some oil out, you wont be gumming your injector up, as that is where the standard crank breather runs to.

For racing the catch tank is part of the regulations, because of the reasons Badger_Benji mentioned. The catch tank has got to be as big as the oil capacity.

Regarding the tank you have the option to foam the tank out. There is some comamies who do this. Might make sense to get a smaller tank fitted, which is foam filled.

Badger_Benji said:
You dont dump oil onto the track is one, and the other it is an emissions test requirement to catch oil vapours and not discharge them to the atmosphere. By using a catch tank, if you are blowing some oil out, you wont be gumming your injector up, as that is where the standard crank breather runs to.

i appericate that its bad on a track, and can understand why its part of the regulations.

If you just dump them into a tank, i assume the tank would be vented - the ultimate effect will be the fumes being dumped to atmopshere anyway?

Yes, and of course no.

If you have a breather filter directly into the can cover it can end up with yer actual wet oil in it, and therefore it drips.

Putting a catch tank in means that the fumes are still getting out, but the heavier wet oil falls into the tank reducing the wet content of the fumes.

If that makes sense.

Cheers

D

Cheers all very interesting reading think I must of missed that months retro cars typical :eek:

If anyone can find out which month it was would be cool and i'll order a back copy..

RS T's have them as do Cosworths as standard, not checked but sure my integrale has one as well going on memory, as do many Japanesse cars icluding non turbos, keeps the induction system cleaner and I don't like those vent to atmosphere filter things that you get, plus i'm not that keen on the turbo set up where it just loops round a meter or so of pipe straight into the induction system before the turbo.

Aaron.

Back