Technical oil catch tank?

Currently reading:
Technical oil catch tank?

its all about removing the high crank case pressure in high revved rally engines, too much pressure under the pistons will hold them back and cause it to burn oil too,
may free up a few horses and save a second or two on a race but not sure if its worth it on a road car. dont think its an mot pass either. but what isnt these days.
pretty sure thats it

For competition cars it's a legal requirement (stops oil getting on the track).

The idea is that race engines tend to produce a lot of blow by gasses (relatively loose ring/bore clearances). These pressurise the crankcase, so you tend to both weep oil from the seals and dump oil mist into the inlet tract and cause detonation.

So, fit bigger breathers, route them to a catch tank, and all is well (sort of).

To be road legal you still need a hose to the inlet tract so they don't vent to atmosphere, but hopefully the catch tank will effectively remove most of the oil vapour.

The high boost tubs do blow a lot of oil.

Lots of other tricks out there -- dry sumping, oil scrapers, crankcase evacuation pumps. All nicely discussed in the A Graham Bell 4 Stroke Performance Tuning book.

Well if you have one kicking about doing nowt then it won't harm if you fit it, but as John said you don't really need it, you will get no performance gains and you'll have another task to do emptying the thing out every couple of weeks (they fill up with condensation water in the winter months).

Martin, any chance of a run through on how to empty the catch tank on the Cinq? its been sitting all winter :eek:

when i had an 8v engine, i fitted a drain back into the sump (below the oil level) to allow the catch tank to drain back into. I never fitted the catch tank though. It just sat on the shelf looking shiny :D

Martin, any chance of a run through on how to empty the catch tank on the Cinq? its been sitting all winter :eek:

Easiest way on your car is a rag and an adjustable spanner, undo the 2 couplings remove the tank away from the car and empty it in a suitable place and then refit. There is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank but you have to remove the tank to get to it:eek:. I also use to wash it through with paraffin every 4 or five months

It is cold start ups and short runs that fill it up so if she hasn't been started at all it will be OK. If you see fluid in the view tube at the side empty it straight away or it pulls it back into the inlet tract and you end up with mayo in the intercooler and the dump valve then blows it all over the engine bay and it is a bugger to clean up

Last edited:
Back