Oil additives

Currently reading:
Oil additives

fiat_freak

:slayer: Has anybody used Lucas or any other Heavy Duty Oil Stablisers?

Details of it are here: http://ken-co.com/images/l/10001.pdf

It seems interesting; I particularly like the claim that it increases oil pressure and extends service intervals by 50% to 100%. I don't think I would use it on the barchetta but it may be very useful on older classics.

Would appreciate any feed-back or comments of any experience

I just use a good quality semi synthetic and change the oil and filter to the recomended service intervals. Mann filters are recomended and luckily our local autofactor always holds these in stock. Our Citroen BX16TRS racked up 300K miles this way and never had spanner put on the engine for anything other than routine servicing. The old cast iron push rod engine in the MGB holds excellent oil pressure on 10W40 and does not leak any more than when I go all traditional and fill it with Q20/50. Oil filters actually work better after a few thousand miles and oils become more acid with time as combustion by products contaminate them, to counteract this they start out basic so changing them early defeats the point. The oil base stock is always reclaimed if you recycle it, it's filtered and new additives put in. Some aftermarket oil "enhancers" can stop these working. I keep the old oil in the time before last can and take a lot back when going that way and this does the least damage to the planet. I have had good experinces with gearbox oil additives, I put some molybdenum disulphide stuff in the Marea when I got it and the change is still a pleasure to use 6 years on. There is a lot on 't web about this by guys who know a more than me, including a site where oil filters are sectioned and measured and the anti drain back valves evaluated (the single most important feature in a filter)

Back