Oh Oh

Currently reading:
Oh Oh

So very nearly bidded on a 1984 mk1 astra gte on ebay when I got an insurance quote for £800 FC! I've just fallen in love with them recently, really need to experience one in the flesh. This ebay one was cheap at £500, but i'm guessing the rust would have cost a fair bit to sort. But that's made me think, why am I fannying around with modern cars when I can get a simplistic classic thats fast and cheap to insure :chin: apart from reliabilty, but I'm not bothered about that too much, I'll get breakdown cover ;)

I remember when my old neighbours MK1 GTE spontaneously combusted in his front drive, what a waste. it was MINT!

My dad likes the Astras, hes had an MK2 GTE, MK3 GSI, and he now has a MK4 SRI, and is going for the MK5 1.3 CDTI next summer, the MK2 had to be re-sprayed was badly affected with rust, MK3s and up are fine though as far as i know with no rust problems..

My dad likes the Astras, hes had an MK2 GTE, MK3 GSI, and he now has a MK4 SRI, and is going for the MK5 1.3 CDTI next summer, the MK2 had to be re-sprayed was badly affected with rust, MK3s and up are fine though as far as i know with no rust problems..

Rear arches! :rolleyes:

Can't remember the last time I saw a MK3 GSI with solid rear arches.

my mate just spent £120 getting both rear archs on his mk3 cut off and fresh metal put in. did a fantastic job, and rust proofed the whole back end.

then 2weeks later had the MOT, failed on just about everything, scrapped it for £54 :rolleyes:

and you know the worst thing.
it had £3.08 of petrol JUST put into it LOL:rolleyes:

no, mk1 astra's are TEH SHIZNAZ. my parents both used to own saab 93's. then when they both came to their time, they both bought mk1 astra's, my dad got a 1.3 in black 4dr (I think), and my mum got a GT cadet from germany, was LHD, black, and seriously low (probably down to rust allowing the towers to point inward a fair bit more than they should).

my dads got nicked from outside wm.low. my mums got written off by a tractor pulling out of a tightgateway and thundering across a singletrack road. she was going uphill, at er, rather a lot, tractor came out, kept going, kadet went under the rear massive wheel.
lookd like a challenger !! had just driven over it :(

oh, forgot, then they both got brand new saab 900's (mid 80's), then after that, MOAH FWD turbo action. then er a triumph aclaim and a sierra LOL

Depends what you like, I like the shape of the mk1 better, lend's itself to nice small deep dish alloys and being slammed on it's arse like old dubs. And the engine, well who cares, they can be swapped for any vaux one pretty much.

Mk1's look so cool and retro now. The mk2 looks like a jellymould in comparison :p And hell do they rust!

Engine swaps are easy as they all used the 'Family 2' series of engines. From a lowly 1.2 right up to a 2.0 litre 16 valve red top.

I have some pictures somewhere of a metallic blue mk1 GTE, fully restored and fitted with a Calbra turbo engine. I saw it at a car show and it was stunning, a real no expenses spared resto/ modified.

Skinz, remind me in a couple of days and I'll post them up when I get back home :)

Oh yes. Chris Bushboy found a similar situation with the insurance on the Uno turbos. A mk1 turbo was way cheaper than a mk2, simply because it was older!

Back