General oh no! greasy windows again

Currently reading:
General oh no! greasy windows again

izzy eckerslike

These damp autumn days have started misting up the windows on my new panda & the exterior glass appears to have a greasy film which won't come off with the usual glass cleaner, I tried just about everything & until the heater gets going I can't see a flippin thing, I have this problem on my old Fiorina van & never could cure it whilst another family car never has this problem.
Anyone got a cure for this? :bang:

Try wet newspapers or potatoes cut in half to break through the greasy layer...

have you tried the special glass wipes you can get, or failing that, metholated spirit (spelling) I've never had a car as bad as the panda for misting up inside, must be something to do with the aircon

I found that when I got my Panda first that the windscreen was greasy. It was awful to see through it at dusk. I used wipes on it initially as I was on holiday, but they were useless. When I ngot home, I found that by simply putting a small bit of fairy liquid in boiling water and washing the window with it twice before thoroughly drying it (both inside and out), it took the greasy film off.

Simple but effective...

I always keep the vent open to circulate new air through the car, as it stops the windows from misting up. I found that by recirculating the air, the side windows were misting.

Im with wee smurf on this one. A bit of washing-up liquid and water, wipe dry, repeat with a CLEAN cloth. My Mum insists brown paper and vinegar would be better, but i don't fancy the motor smelling like a chippy!

My mate brought some stuff from halfrauds and at dusk it's so smeary it's actually worse than mist. Bearing in mind he drives a Civic Type R (flat out most of the time) it can be pretty scary rounding a corner to be faced with the Sun and whole bunch of interesting smear patterns where the road should be!:eek:

Using certain types of deicing sprays can leave a greasy film but as my Panda is spanky new I presume the grease is off protective paper that maybe covered the screens when first delivered to the factory for assembly.
I'll try some of the suggestions tomorrow(y)

ok then, tips for non misty windows (which I use)

leave the fans on constantly, and facing the windows.

Never using re-circulate unless its with air con, otherwise your putting damp air back around the car (which is why it steams the windows)

Air con DOES clear the windscreen quicker than a regular high dose of the fans due to the air being dryer, thats why I defy anyone that says air con is useless in the winter :p

I may try the fairy liquid trick tommorrow, it seems the pandas windows need a thorough clean once a month on the inside or it mists constantly.

Anyone with climate control, eg 100HPs etc, should have no problems with misting if they use it properly.

When you first get the car, press auto, set the temperature you like, somewhere around 20 as a rule, and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN.

It will heat, cool, demist perfectly all by itself, you only get problems if you think you can do better yourself.

Occasional use of air con will let the inside of the car get damp and this moisture is circulated when you put it on again but more importantly you WILL cause expensive damage through lack of use.

Personally I never switch the air con off. Fair enough it's going to cost me 1-2mpg, but I happily pay that for the increased comfort factor it offers.

******** to the tree hugging environmentalists who tell me I'm killing the planet by using it. I bet you'd just love a drive in their clammy cars when they smell like a monkey's armpit as I'm sure that deodorant would be bad in some way too :rolleyes: :p

Anyone with climate control, eg 100HPs etc, should have no problems with misting if they use it properly.

When you first get the car, press auto, set the temperature you like, somewhere around 20 as a rule, and NEVER TOUCH IT AGAIN.

It will heat, cool, demist perfectly all by itself, you only get problems if you think you can do better yourself.

Occasional use of air con will let the inside of the car get damp and this moisture is circulated when you put it on again but more importantly you WILL cause expensive damage through lack of use.

thats if you fancy having the air con on 24/7, you shouldn't really need to use it all the time to avoid misting windows

Back