General Of boot lights and spec creep.

Currently reading:
General Of boot lights and spec creep.

Creamola

Just picked up my new Dynamic aircon today. The only option I have on it is the slidey rear seat.

It's a pretty recent build - having only arrived on a ship (from Poland?) on 20th March.

I'm not complaining, but compared to the Sept 2004 Dynamic I traded in for it, there are some interesting differences:

1. No height adjustable seat belts (actually, I have only just noticed - so whatever height they are set at - they are just right for me).

2. Central locking with a retractable key and a third button, which when held down for a few secs, opens the boot.

3. I have proper cloth upholstered headrests - not those grey plastic things like a McDonalds arch.

4. The trim design in the back also seems different. There seems to be less trim intrusion into the cabin, and notches for clipping the seat belt buckles into to stop them banging about. I don't recall that in the old panda. I know that it is a slidey seat, but set as far back as it will go, I could swear it gives more leg room for rear passengers.

5. No boot light. I actually checked the boots on the other cars at the dealer this morning. Only the Eleganza and 4X4 had them. This is really weird, because in my new Dynamic, there is now a light housing top left. Well, I say "housing" - but in this case, that's a fancy term for a bit of grey plastic with an oblong hole cut out of it. As has already been mentioned, the cable and connector for the light are just taped up under the boot carpet, and for the addition of the bulb holder (that must cost all of 50p) to snap into the aformentioned hole - that would be it. Seems pretty pikey of Fiat not to fit it as standard if you ask me - does it never get dark in Italy?

First impressions of the car are very good. The engine is not quite so flexible or willing - but then it does only have 9 miles on the clock but, and it could just be my imagination, the car does feel firmer, more solid on the road and the doors close with a proper "clunk".

Best wishes,
Creamola.

Doh! Just realised that there is more room in the rear as the rear seats go further back into the boot and the parcel shelf is much thinner.

So, in default configuration with the seats right back - so that there is no gap between the seat backs and parcel shelf - the boot is much smaller (than a non-slidey seat car) but conversely, rear passenger leg room is considerably more.

Yep, I thought it was just the Scots who were tight with money, some of it must have rubbed of on Fiat. I noticed the wife's Sporting is the same with regards to the boot light, wire and holder are there, but no bulb and cover. Its funny cos the spec for the car states it should have the boot light.........Time to annoy the dealer again.
I just have car sales persons anyway.....lol

Ian :devil:

Creamola said:
1. No height adjustable seat belts.

2. Central locking with a retractable key and a third button, which when held down for a few secs, opens the boot.

3. I have proper cloth upholstered headrests - not those grey plastic things like a McDonalds arch.

4. The trim design in the back also seems different. There seems to be less trim intrusion into the cabin, and notches for clipping the seat belt buckles into to stop them banging about. I don't recall that in the old panda. I know that it is a slidey seat, but set as far back as it will go, I could swear it gives more leg room for rear passengers.

5. No boot light. I actually checked the boots on the other cars at the dealer this morning. Only the Eleganza and 4X4 had them. This is really weird, because in my new Dynamic, there is now a light housing top left. Well, I say "housing" - but in this case, that's a fancy term for a bit of grey plastic with an oblong hole cut out of it. As has already been mentioned, the cable and connector for the light are just taped up under the boot carpet, and for the addition of the bulb holder (that must cost all of 50p) to snap into the aformentioned hole - that would be it. Seems pretty pikey of Fiat not to fit it as standard if you ask me - does it never get dark in Italy?
1. Mine aren't adjustable either.

2. I have the 3 buttons on mine.

3. I have the horrible cheap ones. :(

4. Do you mean the clips at the top of the back seat? Those are the only clips I have.

5. No boot light. Got the pop-out section, but not checked for a wire and connector.

Ian, do you have anything specifically saying that there should be a boot light in the Sporting? I haven't got any literature saying that. :(

H

Creamola said:
Doh! Just realised that there is more room in the rear as the rear seats go further back into the boot and the parcel shelf is much thinner.

So, in default configuration with the seats right back - so that there is no gap between the seat backs and parcel shelf - the boot is much smaller (than a non-slidey seat car) but conversely, rear passenger leg room is considerably more.

I noticed my 4x4 had suffered 'spec-creep' when I picked it up in January. It was no longer a 'Climbing' but a plain ole 4x4. Dammit, I really wanted 'Climbing' written on the boot. I have the slidey rear seat too , which is proving valuable for long distance safari purposes, four miles to LIDL and back every Monday.

Do the slidey rear seats also recline? I think I read someplace that they do, although recline to where, I can't imagine. :)

I think I got the adjustable height seat-bealts, but I never noticed I had them on my last car, so wouldn't miss them if they weren't there.

It was warm enough for the air-con to kick in today with a vengeance, nearly froze my left foot off. In the winter it bakes it with blasts of heat.

Still love the car though. I even waxed it at the weekend, which takes nearly 15 minutes. Brilliant.

pandissimo said:
I noticed my 4x4 had suffered 'spec-creep' when I picked it up in January. It was no longer a 'Climbing' but a plain ole 4x4. Dammit, I really wanted 'Climbing' written on the boot.

I got mine on 03.03.06

I was too a bit dissapointed about the lack of the "Climbing" label... But, anyway, i still love my Panda very much.
btw: Today i did a good spring_muddy_forest_run, eeeeh, Panda Primavera :)
ofc, my car looks yet not very_clean_and_waxed, but, I think for a 4x4 it isn't too bad at all :cool: .

snap my dynamic has no boot light , padded headrest etc , took my into my local dealer as i was told when i ordered it the boot light was standard they reckon that its not on this model yet brochure stated it is think it a case of fiat trying to save money lol !

Creamola said:
1. No height adjustable seat belts (actually, I have only just noticed - so whatever height they are set at - they are just right for me).

I wouldn't worry, it took me two and a half years to spot my seatbelts were height adjustable, marginally less than it took me to work out how to flash main beam at someone without turning it on and off again ;) :eek:

hmallett said:
4. Do you mean the clips at the top of the back seat? Those are the only clips I have.

H

No, in the back, at about shoulder height, there is a plastic slot in the top of the trim. The seat belt buckle actually goes vertically down into the slot.

I have also noticed a few other differences:

1. Badge at the back just says "Panda" on left hand side. That's it, no model type etc.

2. The cigarrette lighter and a sort of beaker - that I take to be an ash tray - is no longer there.

3. I am sure that my other panda had grab handles in the roof lining. This one just has one small coat clip over the rear left door.

4. The engine compartment looks completely different. I have aircon (manual) so I know that's different, but there is a big black plastic cover over the top of the engine now and the fuse assembly on the right looks different - or maybe I'm imagining that it's different?

The upholstered headrests come as part of the sliding rear seat package. And the holes for storing the seatbelts are handy so that the seatbelts are always in the right place and not stuck in the boot... The sliding rear seats can be reclined in 3 positions, which is handy for maximising boot space for the supermarket trip (I can fit 5 Sainsbury's shopping boxes into the back of my car no bother (y)).

The height-adjustable seat belt now needs to be ordered separately as a special order. It costs an extra £60 or so. I discovered that when I asked the dealer to check it out when I was ordering the height-adjustable drivers seat, so I have it in my car.

Smoking while driving seems now to be frowned upon and actively discouraged. Therefore you need to order the smoking pack if you want the separate lighter and the ash-tray.

Actually, there is one thing that hasn't changed - that bloody bright blue main beam indicator light.

Why don't they put that sucker in the boot - then we could see what's in there .....

Anyone who has the bootlight fitted!
what colour is the cable that goes into the back of it?
i have found a pink / green stripe cable thats taped to the loom (located just inside left hand bootnearest you as you look inside the boot) underneath floor trim. can't work out what it would connect to even on higher spec motor / trim.

any ideas?

Back