Technical Odd results when trying to read my ECU

Currently reading:
Technical Odd results when trying to read my ECU

CptFastlane

So I was trying to just read out my mk1 1.2 16v (which is swapped into my SC) for funz and giggles, but those turned into allot of questionsmarks instead once I actually got into the ECU...

I am using a generic Ebay OBD2 to usb module, but even tho I highly doubt there are any differences, I made sure it said asomething about Fiat in the description :rolleyes: To connect it with the Fiat 3-pin OBD plug, I've soldered together my own converter cable based on an original wiring diagram of an Ebay 3-pin OBD to OBD2 converter cable...

Once plugged in, I've opened up IAW scan 2, and without any hickups it connected to the ECU once turned over the key as prompted. Odly enough, once I try to look into the specific date like current RPM, or even just CLT, it returns a message saying "ECU not responding". But here is where things get tricky :rolleyes: One of the few stats I CAN look at was for example the Idle RPM which fluctuated between 1000 and 1150 RPM, with my engine not even running (y)

So, I kinda ignored that for a second since my engine is running just fine, and went for the Errors tab. This is where appreantly **** hits the fan in my ECU since I have a ****load of "short circuit" errors ("kortsluiting" as you can see in the next picture), but again, my engine is running just fine..? Appearently I even have a short in my AC system while I don't even have that :eek:

So what could be the issue here? I highly doubt it is my home made OBD to OBD2 wiring, since I double checked all solders, and non of them are giving any resistance which might cause a bad reading. Does this mean a sorta bricked ECU? Or perhaps a bad OBD2 to USB module?

dropbox[DOT]com/s/wlh2a365gf5mhz6/IMG-20180317-WA0008.jpeg?dl=1

So I was trying to just read out my mk1 1.2 16v (which is swapped into my SC) for funz and giggles, but those turned into allot of questionsmarks instead once I actually got into the ECU...

I am using a generic Ebay OBD2 to usb module, but even tho I highly doubt there are any differences, I made sure it said asomething about Fiat in the description :rolleyes: To connect it with the Fiat 3-pin OBD plug, I've soldered together my own converter cable based on an original wiring diagram of an Ebay 3-pin OBD to OBD2 converter cable...

Once plugged in, I've opened up IAW scan 2, and without any hickups it connected to the ECU once turned over the key as prompted. Odly enough, once I try to look into the specific date like current RPM, or even just CLT, it returns a message saying "ECU not responding". But here is where things get tricky :rolleyes: One of the few stats I CAN look at was for example the Idle RPM which fluctuated between 1000 and 1150 RPM, with my engine not even running (y)

So, I kinda ignored that for a second since my engine is running just fine, and went for the Errors tab. This is where appreantly **** hits the fan in my ECU since I have a ****load of "short circuit" errors ("kortsluiting" as you can see in the next picture), but again, my engine is running just fine..? Appearently I even have a short in my AC system while I don't even have that :eek:

So what could be the issue here? I highly doubt it is my home made OBD to OBD2 wiring, since I double checked all solders, and non of them are giving any resistance which might cause a bad reading. Does this mean a sorta bricked ECU? Or perhaps a bad OBD2 to USB module?

dropbox[DOT]com/s/wlh2a365gf5mhz6/IMG-20180317-WA0008.jpeg?dl=1

Hi,
The problem is the interface. The older 3 pin interface uses a non-standard signalling protocol for all but the most basic messages. The hardware is the same as K-Line (KL, KKL, Vag-Com). The ELM 327 interface you have is inteligent (has a microprocessor that decodes the protocol into plain test like a modem) it supports standard protocols but not the custom ones. You need to get a "dumb" KL interface. The software can "bit-bang" this for any protocol it wants.
You can use a switched "MES" one like https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1191353434 which does not need adaptors for 18 pin cars, but for 3 pin any basi KKL is ok e.g
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390665706953?
These are just examples not specific recommendations.
EDIT I just realised you did not mention ELM 327 I assume you ae use one rather than the VAG KKL type/

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Alright, by now the ecu has been read with a Snapp-on reader with sort of the same results as my first try. The ecu was flooded with errors... after a quick clear the errors persisted so we decided to reset the ecu by holding the negative terminal to the positive one for a couple of seconds. Another scan and the errors are gone (with a warm engine). Just to be sure I've replaced the choke sensor on the 900 (blue 2 pin on the thermo housing), and now she runs like a new one with just 48k (km) on the clock.

By now I have received a new (proper) module, and an original 3 pin to OBD2 cable, bit haven't had the time to test it. I did however try the new module without the adapter, bit it gave me the same result, even after updating the drivers and disabling my firewall...

Still very strange all of this...

Back