General odd noise from gearbox side

Currently reading:
General odd noise from gearbox side

richieGT

i have a 97 cinquecento sport and the other night i was dropping my girlfriend out and i was on back roads most of the way and hit a couple of pot holes and when i went to collect her again i started the car and it sounded a bit off really hard to explain kind of like the engine was after getting louder but its coming from the gearbox side and first and second gear are gone silghtly tight i had a look round it but cant seem to find it as only make the noise when driving goes away wile free wheeling or under light acceleration go heavy on it and it starts squeeking/rattling coming from where the clutch lingage goes through the firewall ive put oil on it but its still persisting :( might there be no oil in the gearbox? thats what killed my last cento any advice appreciated :)

check the gearbox oil anyway, no harm in doing so :)

get someone to sit in the car and press the clutch with the engine off while you have a listen under the bonnet, repeat with the engine running and car in neutral, with the clutch up give it a bit of power and listen for any whirring around the gearbox

am it goes away wile rolling with clutch in or in neutral, its the worst in 1st 2nd and 3rd sounds like bearings or something i have my nct tomorrow hope it doesnt affect it im not sure on the fiat how to check change gearbox oil is there a guide on here? sometimes there is small noise when its started bit like relese bearing but goes away after couple of seconds im dreading changing it if thats the case :(

Please read Davids post.

To check gearbox oil remove oil filler plug and stick finger in if it does not come out oily add oil...

Noel

i checked the rear mount today it looks fine no play in it or anything i cant find the guide for the gearbox oil change i no my gearbox is leaking oil as i found sum today wile i was under it not a big leak tho

If it was leaking from a wet inner gaitor on the drive shaft then you need to walk to the motor motor factors for a new gaitor kit and an oil refill pack for the box, the leak you can see could be the last few drops of oil in the box.

Unscrew the filler plug stick pinky in ... as above

The oil should come in a plastic bottle with an extended or extendable tube, put tube in filler hole and squeeze until oil dribbles out. You should be able to do this with the car on the road, donno for sure though as my sporting is different.

Sorry

Noel

Last edited:
ok ill check them tomorrow if i hav time, these are the rubber seals around the drive that goes onto the gearbox itself, on my last cento both these were torn and oil wee weed out as quick as i was pouring it in :( and if this is the problem the oil wont help a hole pile new gearbox will be needed shortly :bang: but maybe ive caught it in time might be ok thanks :worship:

Hi

If the auto is nice a replacement box from a breaker should not be too expensive. Get gfriend a set of overalls and inspection gloves.

Think most of the sportings had dry inner constant velocity bearings.

But you still need to keep the bocx topped up.

Noel

ive checked it for oil was very dry in there :( lol i put in some oil bout a liter prob need more but my mystery rattle is still there its like metal rubbing off metal nd squeaks as you goes over bumps but if on flat more of a rattley rattle and if you only accelerate 1/2 it nearly goes away any more throttle and its back :bang: as for the overals for d g friend id be beaten into a pulp ha ha

i checked the rear mount today it looks fine no play in it or anything i cant find the guide for the gearbox oil change i no my gearbox is leaking oil as i found sum today wile i was under it not a big leak tho

How did you check the rear mount for play?

Please buy more box oil & add to box until it comes back out filler hole. Where was the oil leaking from?

Noel

i had her up and pulled on it with my hand too see for play shud i undo the bolt and check bushing? its really annoying noise ill put more oil in today i shud hav time, it was dripping down the driverside side of d gearbox didnt hav time to narrow down exactly where because i had my nct test passed first time so nothing major wrong with it :devil:

Hi

You need to visually inspect the metal elastic for signs of displacement from its normal status, take a flash light and mobile phone camera under with you... Nice sexy rubber pic please.

The engine needs to be clear of exhaust...

They normally flow through the plate bolted to the auto...

Noel
[edit] there are photos in the guide[/edit]

Last edited:
ah yes ill hav a looky look and take my fone ther with me lol the exhaust is kinked some where just after where it joints near the fire wall i saw it the last day i looked ill look at guide now thanks noel! (y)

ah yes ill hav a looky look and take my fone ther with me lol the exhaust is kinked some where just after where it joints near the fire wall i saw it the last day i looked ill look at guide now thanks noel! (y)

There is also the box oil leak, if it is from a shaft seal you may be able to replace in situ, donno some one will confirm.

Please identify where it is from

Noel

i havent been on in ages weathers been crap bt the mount is fairly knackered lol how long will it last rattling away and will it drop clean out onto the road so to speak its been like this a month-ish now

finally got this fixed thanks to all who helped :) its so smooth now and no juddering or ratteling anymore!!

Back