General Obd2 phone app and adapter

Currently reading:
General Obd2 phone app and adapter

Anybody recommend a good cheap obd2 bluetooth adaptor and app to see which part of my power steering is failing?

Cheapest option is to get a good ELM327 clone from China(Ebay etc.) and use the free version of AlfaOBD...
The trick is to get an adapter that supports all the ELM command sets up to v1.4 and has a bluetooth version lower than 4.0. The ones that say V1.5 and has the PIC18F25K80 chip should work fine. And the free version of AlfaOBD can connect to a module for 15 minutes and should be able to read fault codes, but do nothing more than that.

Cheapest option is to get a good ELM327 clone from China(Ebay etc.) and use the free version of AlfaOBD...
The trick is to get an adapter that supports all the ELM command sets up to v1.4 and has a bluetooth version lower than 4.0. The ones that say V1.5 and has the PIC18F25K80 chip should work fine. And the free version of AlfaOBD can connect to a module for 15 minutes and should be able to read fault codes, but do nothing more than that.

I need to recalibrate my steering after replacing a faulty torque sensor so I guess this won't do the job if reading faults is all it does?
What in your opinion is the best (and cheapest!) option to be able to do the calibration?

OBD rules only apply to powertrain, so any obd tool will read fault codes from engine and gearbox, although sometimes that can be sketchy.

Once away from the powertrain, manufacturers are free to make life difficult. Whilst supposedly using internationally agreed codes, reading and resetting them can be difficult without vehicle specific tools. Fiat are very specific.

Best solution would be the manufacturers tool, available at high cost from any dealer, with variable expertise in interpretation.

Next best is MultiECUscan (MES), plenty of threads on here about that. Free version will read codes. To reset codes, need a licence, €50, plus whichever version you need cables and ELM connector, I think around £30.

Cheapest and very good option is to find a fully licensed MES near you. There are members on here with this, and some are willing to help. There's a thread about that too, but not well populated yet. Tell us where you are and help may be available nearby.

Other scan tools may be cheaper, but likelihood of success is low.

OBD rules only apply to powertrain, so any obd tool will read fault codes from engine and gearbox, although sometimes that can be sketchy.

Once away from the powertrain, manufacturers are free to make life difficult. Whilst supposedly using internationally agreed codes, reading and resetting them can be difficult without vehicle specific tools. Fiat are very specific.

Best solution would be the manufacturers tool, available at high cost from any dealer, with variable expertise in interpretation.

Next best is MultiECUscan (MES), plenty of threads on here about that. Free version will read codes. To reset codes, need a licence, €50, plus whichever version you need cables and ELM connector, I think around £30.

Cheapest and very good option is to find a fully licensed MES near you. There are members on here with this, and some are willing to help. There's a thread about that too, but not well populated yet. Tell us where you are and help may be available nearby.

Other scan tools may be cheaper, but likelihood of success is low.

Thanks! I'm in Wigan.

What kind of phone do you have by the way?
If you have an iPhone you obviously have to go with the MES from App Store because there is no AlfaOBD for iPhone and vice-versa there is no MES on Android so you have to go with the AlfaOBD. Both are capable of making steering calibration on their licensed versions.

One thing to note about iPhone is that you can't use bluetooth ELM327 adapters AFAIK so you have to get a Wi-Fi version with the same v1.5 capabilities as I described.

And that is of course if you're planing to buy either one of those softwares. Your cheapest option is still asking for help from a licesed MES or AlfaOBD owner close by.

What kind of phone do you have by the way?
If you have an iPhone you obviously have to go with the MES from App Store because there is no AlfaOBD for iPhone and vice-versa there is no MES on Android so you have to go with the AlfaOBD. Both are capable of making steering calibration on their licensed versions.

One thing to note about iPhone is that you can't use bluetooth ELM327 adapters AFAIK so you have to get a Wi-Fi version with the same v1.5 capabilities as I described.

And that is of course if you're planing to buy either one of those softwares. Your cheapest option is still asking for help from a licesed MES or AlfaOBD owner close by.

I think your right. I'm hoping I'll only need the MES for the steering so no point shelling out. I'm currently messaging a guy not too far away with MES so fingers crossed!
Thanks for the advice to everyone on the thread ??

Back