General OBD2 Diagnostic software

Currently reading:
General OBD2 Diagnostic software

Like many other users of this forum, I purchased an OBD2 interface to investigate what is going on in the control systems of the modern car. I firstlt purchased a stand-alone code reader, when it arrived plugged it into may car but all I got on the display was “No Code” this is of course a good thing (y) . I have now ordered a OBD2 interface that I can plug into my laptop computer and see more detailed information of what is going on using some OBD software.

Now for the questions, what is the best OBD software users of this forum have found and has anyone found an application that will display details of fiat specific fault codes ?

There's just so much choice out there now that it depends solely on what you want. I guess the best software is the one that doesn't cost anything:)
diagnose screenshot.JPG
Here's a free one I stumbled on earlier that looks like it will do all you could want and more but i haven't had chance to try it (Don't ask me if it works- try it youself- what have you got to lose :) )
http://obddiagnostics.com/ProgWin.html

Tons of software here
http://www.obdcable.com/sc/pages.asp?pageid=60

Some useful info on engine sensors to read up
http://www.dnd-automotive.com/tuneup/sensors.htm

You won't find software with all the generic codes but it's simple, just type in the code number to Google and you'll find what you want
There's lots of places for fault codes. Here's one
http://www.troublecodes.net/OBD2/

Hi Deckchair,

Thank you for taking the time to replay to my post. I have downloaded the application you mentioned in your post and I will try it along with some others when my interface arrives. In the mean time, I will have a read of the other information you linked to in your post and any other information I find.

Anyone like to comment on the difference between Scanners, many of which are apparently able to read the CAN lines, and a conventional OBD2 interface (for a laptop) which, I gather, cannot.

Does it follow that such a scanner can actually provide information which a laptop + interface + software could not.

Or am I missing something :chin:

A scanner IS a limited functionality but dedicated palmtop with an interface and software :)

so it follows that, with the right interface and software, a laptop is capable of doing anything and probably better than a scanner

Standard interfaces aren't for CAN but more and more are coming onto the market that are or you can make your own

Last edited:
So basically you're saying lack of access to CAN doesn't count as a significant drawback?

Am I right in thinking OBD2 is a standard interface (connector) but OBD2 + CAN is still non-standard (or at least only standard amongst specific makes/models)?

CAN monitoring is just monitoring and is therefore just academic to the curious to see what's going on.
canbus_waveform_1.jpg
If you want to input CAN messages then that's a big leap forward requiring some special software, a significant understanding and great care. This is much more than the average person would ever want to do.

Reading fault codes
Monitoring engine sensors
Recording data whilst on the move for later analysing
are the items of most use to the person who wants read off the information that is already there and up for grabs to assist trouble shooting

EOBD2 is the standard (E just stands for European) The B CAN information is already there at the socket along with ABS but an average EOBD2 interface only connects the terminals that are needed.

Last edited:
I have ordered an Elmscan 5 USB multi-protocol OBD interface.
I am actually planning on writing my own software, once I under stand more about OBD, this includes monitoring the CAN messages and what other software is displaying. CAN is actually nothing new to me, I design products that communicate on a CAN Bus and write associated computer diagnostic software for them all the time. Its not going to be easy but then that what makes it interesting.

Back