Technical OBD location on Ducati 2.8JTD -2001

Currently reading:
Technical OBD location on Ducati 2.8JTD -2001

Ducato being van based OBD came in late, so I suspect you have this small non OBD port.
I am sorry, but I find this post misleading. The 3 pin connector on x230 JTD vehicles is an On Board Diagnostic (OBD) port. It connects with the Engine Control Unit (ECU). Special adapter cables are needed to connect, and it has been mentioned on this forum, that these ara available from Gendan, who are also mentioned as giving advice on code reader kit.

It was OBD2 or OBDII that was not adopted on light commercial vehicles until 2004, with the introduction of the x244 Ducato and similar vehicles. OBD2 allows for connection with multiple control units, but additional cables are required. This adoption of OBD2 may have been due to the need to comply with new EEC requirements.

I am sorry, but I find this post misleading. The 3 pin connector on x230 JTD vehicles is an On Board Diagnostic (OBD) port. It connects with the Engine Control Unit (ECU). Special adapter cables are needed to connect, and it has been mentioned on this forum, that these ara available from Gendan, who are also mentioned as giving advice on code reader kit.

It was OBD2 or OBDII that was not adopted on light commercial vehicles until 2004, with the introduction of the x244 Ducato and similar vehicles. OBD2 allows for connection with multiple control units, but additional cables are required. This adoption of OBD2 may have been due to the need to comply with new EEC requirements.
In my initial reply some days ago, I showed photos of the later standard OBD port as used on most vehicles today plus the photo of the earlier 3 pin version which I believe is fitted to johnbray's vehicle which clearly doesn't have the same capabilities as current versions, so whilst it does some "on board diagnostics" I doubt many would class it as an OBD or EOBD port by todays standards.:)

In my initial reply some days ago, I showed photos of the later standard OBD port as used on most vehicles today plus the photo of the earlier 3 pin version which I believe is fitted to johnbray's vehicle which clearly doesn't have the same capabilities as current versions, so whilst it does some "on board diagnostics" I doubt many would class it as an OBD or EOBD port by todays standards.:)
I think you are right I took the dashboard off look every where for a OBD even fiat doesn’t where it is what chance have I many thanks

That was an interesting read, it falls in line with some of my conclusions. I used to run Iveco Daily models dating from 1996 - 2005 with the Sofim engines the Fiat Ducato used around then, from 2.5 indirect injection non turbo 80hp and up and including 2.8 Direct Injection Common rail Turbo Intercooled 130Hp. Iveco ran a round diagnostic socket (similar to a Merc one) behind the passenger glove box area and I never was able to get any information from them. The main electrical issues on them was rotting wires to the rear.

That was an interesting read, it falls in line with some of my conclusions. I used to run Iveco Daily models dating from 1996 - 2005 with the Sofim engines the Fiat Ducato used around then, from 2.5 indirect injection non turbo 80hp and up and including 2.8 Direct Injection Common rail Turbo Intercooled 130Hp. Iveco ran a round diagnostic socket (similar to a Merc one) behind the passenger glove box area and I never was able to get any information from them. The main electrical issues on them was rotting wires to the rear.
It does seem to be a common issue, no matter what the problem, chafed wiring due to a short harness or inappropriate routing.

It does seem to be a common issue, no matter what the problem, chafed wiring due to a short harness or inappropriate routing.
The wire rotting due to water ingress seems common from Fiat, Iveco Peugeot and now I have VW and Skoda with the same. Could it be the manufacturers are cutting down on quality of copper ??????;) Good quality copper shouldn't rot, if archeologists can dig up copper implements from thousands of years ago !!!

OBD is a diagnostic standard origionally intended specificaly for environmental emissions purposes (80s california) that went though a number of itterations includuding 1.5 as fitted to 96, 97 Fords and Mazdas a. This had a strange semicicular socket but error codes could be read using an led connected to specific pins and read flash codes (long and short flashes) different pins for engine,auto gearbox, brakes and air bags (97 Bongo and Probe) (latter models had flash codes on the dashboard).version 1.5 also used on 94,95 GM (according to Wikipedia) 96 Audis had two 2pin sockets (had them on my A6 but never needed it.
With OBDII ,OBD2 came standardisation of socket and generic codes. Then came European version and addition of manufacturer specific codes, EOBD 2001 Petrol 2004 Diesel.
So you may have an On Board Diagnostic Port but not OBD2 compliant

OBD is a diagnostic standard origionally intended specificaly for environmental emissions purposes (80s california) that went though a number of itterations includuding 1.5 as fitted to 96, 97 Fords and Mazdas a. This had a strange semicicular socket but error codes could be read using an led connected to specific pins and read flash codes (long and short flashes) different pins for engine,auto gearbox, brakes and air bags (97 Bongo and Probe) (latter models had flash codes on the dashboard).version 1.5 also used on 94,95 GM (according to Wikipedia) 96 Audis had two 2pin sockets (had them on my A6 but never needed it.
With OBDII ,OBD2 came standardisation of socket and generic codes. Then came European version and addition of manufacturer specific codes, EOBD 2001 Petrol 2004 Diesel.
So you may have an On Board Diagnostic Port but not OBD2 compliant
Yes @bugsymike posted a picture showing the two versions of OBD ports at post #2 of this thread. It has taken the OP until yesterday to acknowledge this.

To sumarise a simple 2 wire, 3pin OBD port was fitted to 2.8idTD x230 models when EGR was installed. The same 2 wire port was used on 2.8jtd x230 vehicles, to connect with the engine control computer.

A full OBD2 port was fitted to the x244 model, which was introduced in 2002.

Back