Nuclear fusion/fission

Currently reading:
Nuclear fusion/fission

Hi everyone :)

Right, I understand this has such little place on FF but none of my friends have a clue and I know we have a few people who did physics alevel/more physics on here so i thought i would give it a try...

OK, physics exam on thursday, I was revising for it and had to answer about nuclear fusion vs. fission, comparison etc. When I suddenly realised what I was writing/thinking about didn't make any sense! I am hoping somebody can set me straight.

OK;

Fission:

The reason why energy is given out is because when broken up, the two new nuclei are more tightly packed than the starting nucleus and hence have a lower mass = mass defect => use E = mc^2 to get energy, cheers Einstein

Fusion:

The two nuclei come together and make a bigger nucleus which has a lower mass than the small nuclei and hence energy is given out (again, cheers Mr Einstein)

So fine i thought before when I didn't think about it, both have a loss in mass so energy is given out. But then I thought; well, how can it be when they go from 2 x small to 1 x big there is a loss in mass but when it goes from 1 x big to 2 x small there is also a loss in mass. Or am I just misunderstanding and confusing myself?

WOuld appriciate any help - otherwise it's back into school tomorrow to sort out my stupidity!

Paul

----------
Uno 1.0ie Start. Standard.
Uno_sign.jpg
test_vote_for_me.gif

Fusion - Star power :)

Worth a read? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3735017.stm
and this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/sci_nat_fusion_energy/html/1.stm

erm... I will shut up now...B)[8]

Shopping List:

-40mm Lowing Springs
Cadamuro Rear Spoiler
Window Tints
Scrapped 1.2 Punto

I no longer have a Fiat but I'm still here ...

Ah, the 126. Tried to drive one but I'm 6 feet 3 inches and size 12 boots!

Lovely motors. It's a Fiat so it obviously qualifies ...

Steve the geriatric Panda and Beagle freak, but can't see no problem in running a Brava in the meantime ...

beaglerunc.gif

beaglerunc.gif

I've heard of Jazz Fusion, but I would go along with Pete on the Fission. Well, not actually but with what he said!

Oi oi! [8D][8D][8D][8D]

Monkey trousers!

Well, I asked a girl at school "it's about fish isn't it" she said so :(

I know the answer though - teacher said he had never been asked before and it was a fantastic question, said he didn't have a clue and wondered how i got to thinking about it so deeply and suggested I asked at Nottm Uni if i was really bothered. He explained the bits I needed to know though :)

----------
Uno 1.0ie Start. Standard.
Uno_sign.jpg

<font size="5">Vote for PGHSTOCHAJ !!!</font id="size5">

Back