Technical Noticeable jump in engine noise at 3000rpm

Currently reading:
Technical Noticeable jump in engine noise at 3000rpm

DaveDare

Recently bought an 06 1.2 petrol on 72k.

When the car gets to 3000rpm the engine gets noticeably noisier. It's isn't a gradual increase but rather a jump, and the engine sounds quiet below this RPM. There is no loss of power or performance as far as I can tell.

Is this normal on this engine or should I investigate further? It's due a service and booked in next week for this.

Thanks

Thanks, think I've solved it as exhaust resonance now.
I have the same problem with my 4x4... what have you done to resolve the problem?? My engine roars between 3000-4000rpm, and is quiet outside this rev range...

I have the same problem with my 4x4... what have you done to resolve the problem?? My engine roars between 3000-4000rpm, and is quiet outside this rev range...
Unfortunately required a full new exhaust! Although I imagine the resonance was only from a certain part of the exhaust but it all needed changing anyway as rotten.

Unfortunately required a full new exhaust! Although I imagine the resonance was only from a certain part of the exhaust but it all needed changing anyway as rotten.
Interesting... i'll have to take a look at mine when I go back home !

Interesting... i'll have to take a look at mine when I go back home !
The front mount do often corrode through and the little bit left on the exhaust can jiggle and jingle. Simple visual inspection and it’s just visible without jacking the car up.

The flexible joint do eventually fail. Easy to test just put your hand over the rear of the exhaust and the pressure should build up.

Which should cover the vast majority of 1.1 and 1.2 with the noisy exhaust from the front including exhaust gasket and cracked manifold

Back