General Not starting

Currently reading:
General Not starting

Jonny Fiat 500

Hello
I’ve had a classic 500 for a couple of years, all generally very good and only needed a couple of tweaks over the years.
It’s been on trickle charge for a few months now but when I try to start it it turns over but doesn’t fire up?!
Apologies for what is a basic post but any suggestions of where I should look or what I should try first
Many thanks in advance Jon

Assuming the battery has enough power to achieve a decent cranking speed I would check for power getting down to the points and points are clean. If that checks out then have you fuel at the carb.

Assuming the battery has enough power to achieve a decent cranking speed I would check for power getting down to the points and points are clean. If that checks out then have you fuel at the carb.
Does the engine start if you use "easy-start" (or brake cleaner) sprayed into the carburettor? If the engine hasn't been run for a few months (the time that the battery has been on trickle charge) check that fuel is getting to the fuel pump, by removing the fuel line INTO the pump and seeing if any fuel comes out of the pipe.The Fiat 500s have a tendency for the fuel to siphon back into the tank. If no fuel is coming through, one way of getting it through is to use an air line (or electric tyre pump) and pressurise the tank a bit. This is more safely done with 2 people and a catch can. Leave the fuel-line off the pump and aimed at something that it can safely drain into; pressurise the tank and as soon as the person at the back of the car sees fuel coming out of the pipe he/she puts the pipe back onto the pump. It will still take a little bit of cranking to fill the float chamber in the carb.

Thanks Toshi
I’ll investigate
cheers Jon

Does the engine start if you use "easy-start" (or brake cleaner) sprayed into the carburettor? If the engine hasn't been run for a few months (the time that the battery has been on trickle charge) check that fuel is getting to the fuel pump, by removing the fuel line INTO the pump and seeing if any fuel comes out of the pipe.The Fiat 500s have a tendency for the fuel to siphon back into the tank. If no fuel is coming through, one way of getting it through is to use an air line (or electric tyre pump) and pressurise the tank a bit. This is more safely done with 2 people and a catch can. Leave the fuel-line off the pump and aimed at something that it can safely drain into; pressurise the tank and as soon as the person at the back of the car sees fuel coming out of the pipe he/she puts the pipe back onto the pump. It will still take a little bit of cranking to fill the float chamber in the carb.
Thanks for this info
going to have a crack at your suggestions
is it brake cleaner into the carb or on/around the carb?
apologies first time at this kind of stuff
thanks Jon

Back