General Not on a boat...

Currently reading:
General Not on a boat...

Yay! Mine's arrived at the dealers safe & sound (I hope) today, she's just called me.

I'm having to resist every urge to go over there tomorrow to see it. Not picking it up till Thursday morning, really wanted it Wednesday night but the sales lady Jane is on day off :mad:

Yeah - most expensive flowers you'll ever buy!

I feel for you waiting for your car. I was lucky enough to be on holiday right up until the day before I picked mine up. It took my mind off it - just.

Picking it up was very exciting.

If you're like me you won't want to park it anywhere for fear of some idiot putting a pin dent in one of the doors or something.

I wish I had a garage again......!

Car is now 237 miles old, and loosening up. At 500, I reckon I will take it beyond 4000rpm occasionally. After 1000, I think I can officially put the pedal to the metal and let every one of those 1,242cc's free!!

The first dent will come. I'm so afraid for this that my mate told me to make the first dent myself when I go pick it up at the dealer and get it over with.:p

You have a good point!

Yes, come it will, and I will be heartbroken. I'm one of those people who parks over two bays, or insists on parking at the end of the row to reduce the risk by 50%!

I paid £20 extra on my car to get side rubbing strips to reduce the risk further still.

But, I fear it is inevitable :cry:

AlexGP said:
If you're like me you won't want to park it anywhere for fear of some idiot putting a pin dent in one of the doors or something.

I wish I had a garage again......!

Luckily my Alfa takes all the car park dents, I think it has a dent on every panel even one on the bonnet from as massive stonechip :mad: It's on it's last legs now, it keeps popping out of fifth gear above 80 mph every 10 or so seconds on the motorway, i wouldn't normally be too fussed, but I do 400 miles a day in it so can get quite tiresome :D

On a totally different subject....

Anyone know if there's anything to do on a Friday evening in Guildford? We're staying in the travelodge there the night before the Auto Italia show.

I was also thinking about the side rubbing strips but didn't do it because I saw that Fiat installs them so low on the door that it's more likely someone will hit your door and not the strip.

The first scratch or dent will make you feel bad and if the scratch is big enough you also have to decide if you want to claim it with your insurance. At least you will be more relaxed when the first scratch or dent will be there! Don't forget a car is and will always be a using object.

If you want to keep it perfect, park it in a glass garage and go sit every day for a hour in front of it imagine yourself driving it. Or.... you drive it for real and get the real rush and accept the little scratches and dents.(y)

Last edited:
courtster said:
Anyone know if there's anything to do on a Friday evening in Guildford? We're staying in the travelodge there the night before the Auto Italia show.

Depends on what you want to do... There's an Odeon cinema, plently of restaurants/bars/pubs/clubs, or a sports centre called Spectrum. A good size park (stoke), other good open areas (near the castle or milmead).

A Glass Garage! Now why didn't I think of that.... I could take it with me wherever I go. Need to get a towbar installed though, and that would ruin the bumper....! :D

As for Guildford, there is plenty to do. Just take it easy though, so you can enjoy the drive up the A3 to Brooklands, spotting all the Italian exotica on the way - that's always fun.

Alex

I went to bed, then I got up and collected the GP :)

What can I say? Not a lot as i'm driving, and posting this on my xda, but I can confirm it's great fun.

Thing that's hacking me off is the Blue&Me system, I've got the phone connected and all the voice recognition works, but it's the USB port that I can't get working. The mp3 player plugs in and the light comes on the device, but I can't find anyway of playing the music. I assumed all I'd have to do is press the SRC button, but no joy :(

Shame I haven't got the addendum to the manual that deals with the kit. It's on order from the dealer. Check if you've got yours when you pick it up Bob and Matt, and try and get them to explain how it works.....

Congrats! Don't forget the pictures and make them high resolution so I can use them for my desktop....a pretty girl on the bonnet would be nice too. :D

Here you go, a couple of pics - it's gone dark now so I couldn't take anymore before the camera battery was recharged.....

I'll take more tomorrow :)

Attachments

• hke.JPG
    hke.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 57
  • hke1.JPG
    hke1.JPG
    533.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Back