Technical Not firing

Currently reading:
Technical Not firing

harveybean

Hi all,

2000 Punto 1.2 8v

Over the last two weeks, and its been very few and far between, you get in the car, and try starting it from cold and it wont start, just turns over and no spark, after a few attempts it will fire up and be happy car. Always a cold engine never when its been running.

Hasn't been used since yesterday late afternoon, went out just now, tried starting it, and its turning over and nothing no spark. It did try and spark a few times but not enough for it to start fully. Immobiliser light is going out, and can smell fuel.

any suggestions ? desperate need to get this sorted as start new job monday :confused:

Try and be a bit more precise in what you're saying.

When you say "no spark" do you mean "I took the spark plug out, laid it on the cam cover, plugged the lead back in cranked the engine over and there was no spark" or "the sodding thing turned over but didn't fire"?

No spark at the plug when cranked and no wet petrol smelly plug after cranking = faulty crank sensor.

Otherwise, I'd suspect the engine temperature sensor (green coded sensor near the thermostat).

Last edited:
when turning the key, you hear the starter motor and that small chugging noise (maybe not best description) just before it starts running. Its not doing that except for now and again.

I have not taken spark plugs out, to dark, but not having that chug tells me there is no spark. It did spark a couple of times, as it went to start then stopped sparking and carried on turning over.

there is the smell of petrol faintly

no eml on :( that would be to easy lol

will have a better check in morning and hopefully be able to report it fixed

went out this morning, plugged laptop in, no error codes but still wouldnt start.

checked only one spark plug and it was wet with fuel, sprayed some carb cleaner into carb and had a wipe around, cleaned crank sensor, cleaned breather hose (loads of nasty gunk came out)

connected boost pack, and it came to life straight away. so thinking like someone said crank sensor might be the culprit!

throttle body top, but you know what i meant hahah

plan is to get replacement crank sensor, and when it happens again, swap it over and see if that makes a difference

Back