Technical non starting punto 1.2 60 '97

Currently reading:
Technical non starting punto 1.2 60 '97

andyf60

My little punto has decided that it doesn't want to start! I turn the ignition and it turns over very slowly (60 rpm).

Initially I diagnosed this as a starter moter issue as i thought the motor windings had decided that life was just a bit too much, so 1 new starter motor later... engine still turning very slowly. I removed the spark plugs (just for kicks) thinking that without compresion it might spin a little faster... no such luck.

It's not a battery issue (multimeter reads 12.6V and just in case I tried jumping it aswell)

Previously I've had the standard head gasket issues associated with this engine, continued to loss some water so was running it with head gasket rad-weld which stopped the water loss.

Whilst the engine is turning (very slowly) I am hearing a squeak from the cam belt end of the block...

Could this be a stuck/disintergrated water pump?

Any help would be much appreciated

a squeak? That's odd. How did the problem start? i.e did you do any work to the engine before it started. It sounds like it could possibly be timing. Check the spark plugs and see if there sparks when turning over but be careful not to shock yourself!

I last laid a spanner on it in anger November last year, hasn't missed a beat since then and covered some 5k.

Got home from the office the other week, went on holiday in another vehicle, came back to the punto 10 days later. Thats when she started refusing to start.

turns out its a seized alternator!:eek: anyone come accross one of these before?

soz, i've been away lately. We have had this problem before with our 1991 fiat panda :p We took alternator off and cleaned it with wd-40, 3 in oil then put it back togeather using some marine grade grease to ease it abit. The power output has dropped a bit but the panda being a simpe car it dosent seem to matter. battery still charges fine and had no issues since - we did this 1.5 years ago (y) so it's a sutible fix if you have a basic car. i.e no power steering or air con etc(y)

Back