Technical Non starting Bravo

Currently reading:
Technical Non starting Bravo

oldfella

Good morning all
had my Bravo 150 M jet sport for 5 months with no problems till now, went to start yesterday and it was a bit hesitant to go but did fire up I then got a check engine warning on the dash..all seemed fine checked oil etc and car drove without problem.. so I thought just a glich that ECUs have from time to time
But this morning it wont turn over it sounds like the battery is knackered, which of course it may be as it appears to be the original unit (08 reg by the way)
Taken the cap off the battery terminals to be faced with lots of connections ..Do I just disconnect battery as normal and remove and charge or replace or will it cause more problems also would it be OK to jump start the car?..
Sorry to sound a bit thick but as my name suggests I'm in my 60s and not to familiar with all these electronics
Thanks Ian

I'm guessing you have a problem with the charging system.
I would also use multiecuscan to read the errors..maybe they are just errors triggered by low voltage .. but maybe it says something like "sensor XXX low voltage /short to ground"... which will be a reason why the battery drained.

You can jump start it BUT be extremely careful not to reverse the leads. and not to short anything out.

I would start by removing the battery and giving it a slow charge.. like 12-14 hours.
You can remove the battery, by removing just the main 2 cables.
If you have the original HU you don't need any codes or anything like that.

You will get a few errors when you reconnect the battery (mainly ASR/esp/hill holder) but these go away after starting the engine and turning the steering wheel all the way to each extreme and back to the center (it's the learning procedure for the steering column sensor) .

I'm guessing you have a problem with the charging system.
I would also use multiecuscan to read the errors..maybe they are just errors triggered by low voltage .. but maybe it says something like "sensor XXX low voltage /short to ground"... which will be a reason why the battery drained.

You can jump start it BUT be extremely careful not to reverse the leads. and not to short anything out.

I would start by removing the battery and giving it a slow charge.. like 12-14 hours.
You can remove the battery, by removing just the main 2 cables.
If you have the original HU you don't need any codes or anything like that.

You will get a few errors when you reconnect the battery (mainly ASR/esp/hill holder) but these go away after starting the engine and turning the steering wheel all the way to each extreme and back to the center (it's the learning procedure for the steering column sensor) .

Thank you very much I will remove the battery and charge overnight and try again
Regards Ian

Good morning all
Well after an overnight charge and a top up with water the battery was showing a full charge this morning refitted to car and it started first turn of the key.. BUT still got the damn check engine light on so time to find a local garage with a reader and get it checked.
Thanks Ian

Hi,

Have you tried 3 clear starts ie started 3 times with out issue, it may clear itself if the battery was the problem !

Just tried it and sure enough fault cleared, still think I'll get it checked out though just in case it's not getting full charge.
Many thanks again
A forum working at it's best
Regards Ian

I would get a new battery bearing in mind the original at that age.
I got a good deal at a GSF promotion last week.(for my 58)
Hi guys, I know this thread is a bit too old but I wanted to give it a try. My 09 Sport Bravo didn't start last night, I saw the negative terminal all sulfated. All systems work just fine, A/C, power windows, lights, radio but the car just won't start, there isn't even a try, when I turn the key on the dash goes all dark and there is a ticking sound.

I cleaned the terminal and made sure the terminal is not loose (the quick lock broke a few months ago but I used a tie-grap to tighten it up and it had been working just fine till last night).

Could it be the battery got drained?
Could it be a loosen terminal as the quick lock is not working properly?
Could it be another issue with the electrical system?

Please let me know,
Regards Danny from Mexico!

Hi guys, I know this thread is a bit too old but I wanted to give it a try. My 09 Sport Bravo didn't start last night, I saw the negative terminal all sulfated. All systems work just fine, A/C, power windows, lights, radio but the car just won't start, there isn't even a try, when I turn the key on the dash goes all dark and there is a ticking sound.

I cleaned the terminal and made sure the terminal is not loose (the quick lock broke a few months ago but I used a tie-grap to tighten it up and it had been working just fine till last night).

Could it be the battery got drained?
Could it be a loosen terminal as the quick lock is not working properly?
Could it be another issue with the electrical system?

Please let me know,
Regards Danny from Mexico!

What you describe - when i turn the key, the dashboard lights goes off and then i hear a tick...

This would tell me it that it can only be three things.

Battery does not have enough amps to turn the starter motor, so its just ticking from resistance being caused by the engine.

Charge the battery up full and try again.

Another thing that can cause this could be the feed to the starter motor, earth straps etc - check the earth straps, give them a good clean, check the feeds to the starter motor - give them a good clean.

Third thing...
Also check the connections on the battery are tight and secure, clean them up with a wire brush then apply some grease / jelly to stop them from corroding.

That should be it - if all this fails, can you bump start the car?
If so - your Starter motor could be stuffed.

If recharging the battery works, see how it goes after that and check the alternator and battery voltage / amps over the next few days as your alternator could also be causing the battery not to charge.

If all is fine with starter motor and alternator and battery does this again, get a new battery.

Sorry for bad punctuation and the pain in reading this - im at work and rushing this reply.

thanks dtimmins1985, I cleaned the battery terminals and it started again.
I would get a new pair of terminals as they look too corroded but It's been a struggle to find them in Mexico (exactly as they are) so I'll get a pair of two generic ones and install them to avoid any electrical issues.

Just make sure theyre in good condition and robust enough... when we zay terminals we mean the bits you hook the leads over and bolt up... you can replace battery or clean up original terminals, if you mean the leads with hoops on them that go on the terminals then that should be easy to sort too.

If worst comes to it... buy a part from poland or uk and ship it out.

Back