Technical non starter

Currently reading:
Technical non starter

nobby123

hi all, got a problem starting my scudo 19 el 2003. thought it was glow plugs, so i changed them, not an easy job. but still wont start, turns over but wont fire, i can bump start it and it starts when warm, thats why i thought it was glow plugs. any advice would be very welcome...thanks bob:cry:

Check that you are getting 12V at the glow plugs. Use a test meter (or a 12V bulb). This meter should show around 12V (or the light should glow) when the glow plug lamp on the dash is ON.

If the lamp doesn't glow (or the meter doesn't read) then the glow plug relay may be dud.

If the dashboard glow plug lamp doesn't come on (and, possibly, the water temp gauge goes full-scale three times before going back to zero) then the "double-relay" (located beside the glow plug relay) needs replacing.

thanks kellys eye... i tested as you said... and there was no voltage on the meter. i just changed the relay and noticed the old one was staring to melt where one of the white wires connects. shes still not starting... maybe its shorting out somewhere.. any more advice wuld be great..thanks again bob

One of the two fat wires on the bottom of the glow plug relay goes direct to the battery VIA A FUSE. Your meter should show 12V on that particular terminal at all times (irrespective of the ignition key position I think). If 12V is missing then check to see if the fuse is ok (try it with the ignition 'on' first in case this is a requirement).

This 12V (live) switches through to the 'other' terminal on the bottom of the relay whilst the glow plug light is on, on the dashboard.

If the relay is 'new' then I suspect the fuse.

Back