Non Fiat question

Currently reading:
Non Fiat question

This weekend I have been using a 2009 VW Passat estate. Just above the offside front door near the grab handle is a small white camera facing the rear. No mounting or anything. Any idea what this is? Parking assist, or some kind of dash cam?

Sounds like an after market ultrasonic sensor for an alarm the standard alarms on VWs have the ultrasonic sensors in the center near the interior lights but if the car was a lower spec model without an alarm or the factory alarm went wrong then then it’s reasonable it’s been added.

Alternatively it could be a camera to monitor the inside of the car if it’s a rental, a fleet car or some other company owned vehicle, or has been in the past.

When I bought my old Punto HGT it had a telematics unit installed which was no longer in use but I suspect could have still been monitored by the makers of the unit.

Sounds like an after market ultrasonic sensor for an alarm the standard alarms on VWs have the ultrasonic sensors in the center near the interior lights but if the car was a lower spec model without an alarm or the factory alarm went wrong then then it’s reasonable it’s been added.

Alternatively it could be a camera to monitor the inside of the car if it’s a rental, a fleet car or some other company owned vehicle, or has been in the past.

When I bought my old Punto HGT it had a telematics unit installed which was no longer in use but I suspect could have still been monitored by the makers of the unit.

Thanks Andy

Back