Technical Noisy Tick Over

Currently reading:
Technical Noisy Tick Over

GRANDE-STEVE

Does anyone find the 130 noisy when idling ? my car sounds like a tractor ! but when upto 3rd gear and beyond she sounds as quiet as a petrol.

yup i agree mine is noisy when stationary but quite when cruising, its normal. Also im finding that when stationary i get a lot of diesel fume smell in the cabin, i have had to switch the ventilation to internally circulate to prevent it. Note mine has only done 300 miles

Last edited:
I check mine weekly (looks smug)

saying that i didn't check mine for a long time and when i pulled the dipstick it was just below min :eek: check it weekly now... Even the tire pressures...

T on the subject of levels my Brake fluid level has been above max from new should i suck it out back down to max??

i check mine whenever i have the bonet up which is about once every 2 weeks to fill up the screen wash, tbh in my old car the oil level never moved until i had a leak, and that was obvious cos there was a big slick on the drive. So do diesels need more oil changes, this is my first diesel btw

Last edited:
Yep mine is noisy on idle and up until 3rd gear, 1500 miles so far, I also had the smell of diesel early on but seems to of gone now.
Think the oil change interval is really dependant on manufacturer, think all the GP are 18k. Some older diesels had regular changes. My old 405 was every 6k

yes i agree noisy upto 3rd then smooth as butter in 4th and it pulls so lovely in that gear

The time to worry about tick-over in a diesel is when you CAN'T hear the engine!
Ever been in a Merc taxi on Cyprus - you know the type - 350,000 miles all original and no compression.........but very smooth!
There's got to be a downside to getting 50mpg out of an engine that runs on heating oil, and a lumpy engine is it.

The time to worry about tick-over in a diesel is when you CAN'T hear the engine!
Ever been in a Merc taxi on Cyprus - you know the type - 350,000 miles all original and no compression.........but very smooth!
There's got to be a downside to getting 50mpg out of an engine that runs on heating oil, and a lumpy engine is it.

totally agree.also on the downside they can seem a bit lethargic around town driving.upside not much even the other side of £20k will beat a remapped m-jet on the m-way;)

I,ve had my 130 for about six months now, and have been very pleased with it BUT:eek: just clocked up 14000 miles now and all was fine ,smooth idle and reasonable noise levels now its really loud at idel and seems very noisy at speed !.This has only just become noticeable in the last week .oil level is bang on the mark and im useing the same fuel i,ve used for months BP ultimate. There hasnt been any drop in performance that i can tell , and belive me i use it (y)
Any ideas guys?

130 SPORTING / with a Dragon tuning box fitted :devil:

I,ve had my 130 for about six months now, and have been very pleased with it BUT:eek: just clocked up 14000 miles now and all was fine ,smooth idle and reasonable noise levels now its really loud at idel and seems very noisy at speed !.This has only just become noticeable in the last week .oil level is bang on the mark and im useing the same fuel i,ve used for months BP ultimate. There hasnt been any drop in performance that i can tell , and belive me i use it (y)
Any ideas guys?

130 SPORTING / with a Dragon tuning box fitted :devil:

I've just topped 14k miles too but engine is quiet as from new and still swwet & powerful, no added tuning box or re-map tho.

Is it a mechanical noise or exhaust noise? Gizaclue! :D

Its more mechanical than exhaust,i think :confused: ,im sure i would feel a differance if i had an exhaust leak!.
im going to revert backto basic fuel for a while and see if it makes any differance,
i do about 250 miles a day so it wont take long to purge the tank:p

how are you finding your 130's in the cold mornings ? mine starts fine but sounds very tappy if its very cold, but once i pull off or let it warm up for a few mins its fine.

how are you finding your 130's in the cold mornings ? mine starts fine but sounds very tappy if its very cold, but once i pull off or let it warm up for a few mins its fine.

My Stilo doesnt have the same engine, but sounds a bit tappaty and is slightly vibration like in the morning. its all part of owning a diesel :p

Back