Technical Noisy new catalytic converter

Currently reading:
Technical Noisy new catalytic converter

Calleja

Hi,

Very inexperienced newbie here...
Two weeks a ago, my car was shuddering when pulling away and I couldn't get it above 60mph. At one point there was a warning light on the dash (amber, check engine) but it didn't stay. Took to garage, they changed HT leads. Pulling away got better, but still couldn't get good speed on motorway so took it back to garage - they said I needed a new catalytic converter which has now been done. I haven't yet been able to take it on the motorway (it was only done yesterday) but the noise driving into work was pretty bad. It was only as I was accelerating. On googling it, some people are saying its to be expected with new catalytic converters, others are saying its been fitted wrong (or a cheap part used - it cost me £200 inc labour). What do people think? Do I just give it time? I am due to do two long journeys soon and really need this sorted.

Thanks for any help.

What garage did you take it to? In my area we have a small chain called Ablefit, and they do a bodge job on exhausts and tyres, which is why they charge low prices. My friend had his cat done there, and when it started messing up again about 6 months later they told him they wouldn't fix it (although in garuntee) because he went over a speed bump too fast...

What does the noise sound like? A screeching, knocking, clunking? Few different things that could cause it... Does the exhaust blow at all? Does it idle very steady or do you get your revs changing very slightly? Try pulling away in first gear at about 1000 revs and see if it shudders... If it does, I would say they have bodged it, and your exhaust is still blowing.

Thanks for the reply AJKing.

I'll need to have a proper listen when I travel home tonight, but to my very inexperienced ear, it just sounds like the noise an exhaust would make, just a lot, lot noiser. A bit like a jet engine taking off! I'm not hearing any knocking, screeching etc and it is only occuring on acceleration. At idle it sounds normal. Its driving a lot smoother than it was.

I don't think the garage is out to rip me off intentionally, but I guess you never know....

Sounds like exhaust blow to me.
Could be they've not fitted gaskets right, if at all

Easy to check where, feel for blow with the engine running round exhaust manifold, and where it meets middle section.

New exhausts are typically a bit louder until your brain gets used to the different note and they carbon up a bit, but if it's a jet engine, you've got a leak somewhere.

But be very careful near when working near running engines.

Take it back to garage if you're not experienced, it's their responsibility to get it right

the flexi just after the cat has probably gone due to age and the fact its been disturbed
take it back but unfortunately if it is this then you will be expected to pay but they might knock you some labour off
(needs doing if it is this as fumes will get in car etc)

Thanks all for replying. I'm not really experienced enough to do anything myself, but the general view seems to be its not normal, so I guess I'm back to the garage!

Back