Technical Noise when turning left

Currently reading:
Technical Noise when turning left

michael2208

I have an 04 Stilo JTD which has been fine apart from two problems.

One is the bolts have fallen out of one side of the plastic tray thing under the engine which makes for a terrible buzzing rattle at idle. I can live with that one until the service when I'll get it fixed. Not a warranty item I suspect?

Another new one is a very high pitched scraping, swish? noise when turning left. Would I be right in thinking that's something to do with the brake pads?
Seems to go off if I experiment and hit the brake at the same time as turning left.

Must just add that the vibration was there 6 weeks before the swishing...
Cheers for any help...

Last edited:
I had a similar noise - not the same but that might be down to description :D - which I traced to a slightly bent n/s front brake disk shield. A quick tweak with a universal widget (screwdriver) and all was fine (y)

One thing that worries me in your post is the vibration mentioned at the end..... is that steering/brake related, does it happen when you use either :confused: If so could be something completely different :(

"Another new one is a very high pitched scraping, swish? noise when turning left. Would I be right in thinking that's something to do with the brake pads?"
Yep that's brake pads especially as the noise alters when you apply the brakes. Could be lots of different reasons why they make that noise, but it's not right so always worth investigating

Last edited:
ABZSTILO said:
I had a similar noise - not the same but that might be down to description :D - which I traced to a slightly bent n/s front brake disk shield. A quick tweak with a universal widget (screwdriver) and all was fine (y)

One thing that worries me in your post is the vibration mentioned at the end..... is that steering/brake related, does it happen when you use either :confused: If so could be something completely different :(

It's the loose plastic engine guard thing that vibrates at idle

amazingly annoying....:bang:

michael2208 said:
Another new one is a very high pitched scraping, swish? noise when turning left. Would I be right in thinking that's something to do with the brake pads?
Seems to go off if I experiment and hit the brake at the same time as turning left.

Must just add that the vibration was there 6 weeks before the swishing...
Cheers for any help...

What mileage is your car? It's probably the disks are worn & you've been left with a big lip on the inside edge which is making the noise, either that or the backing plate has come loose.

i have the exact same noise on my jtd it aint the pads cos we have just replaced all frond pads and disks gonna investigate this weekend will let u know

little becky said:
i have the exact same noise on my jtd it aint the pads cos we have just replaced all frond pads and disks gonna investigate this weekend will let u know

That would be very kind, cheers(y)

Back