Technical Noise when accelerating

chook

Hi

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas what it could be,
i have an intemitent problem with my car, it can be fine for a few days
then suddenly start, even if the cars been running, for a while,
then it will go again.

In idle theres a humming/zzzzzzzz noise, on acceleration it go's louder
theres no loss of power or anything like that when its happening.

Is it worse when you change gear or go around a corner?

Nope, its hard to explain. The normal noise the car does when you rev
its that but in a higher pitch, so as i go faster, the noise go's louder
as i start to slow down, it go's lower, it match's the normal revs noise.

exhaust seems fine - its only about 2 year old,
noise is coming from the engine, only thing i can think of is
the small pipe that gos from the filter out to the exhaust (or i think it does)
started coming loose a couple of years ago, so i wraped some of that exhaust repair tape round it with the wire over the top to keep it in place till it hardened, i checked it earlyer and it had dropped a little, just pushed it back in place.

The noise did happen earlyer - i went out and it was fine, parked up - came back
and the noise started again, reved the engine and it went, from what i can tell
its something to do with the revs.

I had these simptoms:
Idle noise in cold morning and burning smell (high pitch and whirring noise). It went away after a few revs. Whistle noise after 3800 RPM when engine cold and normal. All this from alternator zone.
Changed alternator belt... same thing.
Went to the electrician with the alternator. Conclusion: Dry bearings. Re-greased them with high temp vaseline. Total labor cost 3 EUR.

Also 1 year ago had a whistling noise @ 1800 to 2500 RPM. That was the cam belt pulley

Try listen where do u here the sound coming from. Heres the engine
https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-guides/123687-were-everythingis-1-2fire-engine-2000-onwards.html

Seriously this is what i said what is the mileage on the car if its around 36k miles or 72k miles it will be the timing belt which would mean change the timing belt and tensioner before it snaps and change the fan belt its only a few quid

On a 16V the engine can be ruined by a broken cam belt & at the very least its a top end rebuild. On an 8v the engine wont be harmed but you will have the inconvenience and recovery costs.

The parts are not costly so get both belts replaced with associated tensioners and grease the alternator bearing while its all opened up.

Back