Technical Noise from Rear Brake Drums

Currently reading:
Technical Noise from Rear Brake Drums

Matt925

Hi All,
Has anyone ever had any problems with the rear brake drums making loads of noise when the car has been sat around for a while with the hand brake on?
Recently my Seicento has been making loads of noise when i use the brakes for the first time in a day then the noise disappears, is it that the brakes are damp or soemthing?
I remember i had a similiar problem with my old opush bike but just replaced the pads on that as that was cheap.
If anyone could give any info much appreciated.

Regards Matt925

if the car has been sitting for a while and then the brakes are making a noise then it will most likely be the pads/shoes grinding all the crap that has been built up (most likely a little bit of surface rust). this shouldn't happen if use the car on a daily basis though. It might be a worth while checking the state of the drums/shoes and discs/pads to see if they are badly wornen.

HTH

david

Brake drums, and discs for that matter, will rust up fairly quickly. The first few applications of the brakes will clear it, as you have found.

The rears will retain the dust and rust as they are drums, so the problem get worse over time. Clean out the drums and see how it goes.

Cheers

D

Back