No Spark

Currently reading:
No Spark

B

Bob

On 2 recent mornings my car has failed to start. Lots of misfires almost like timing out and that is about it. I never touched the throttle so as not to flood it. Both times I let it sit until the evening and it fired first time, running well.

This time however there is no sign of life. It is not down to damp as it haven't rained here in a week. The code light is going out so nothing to do with that.

The car is a 97 1.4 12v Bravo

Damp can also be caused by fog/mist. Make sure your leads are dry and spray them and your connections with WD40. Might work.

I know it is an electrial problem but wonder what would make it backfire other times? Could see through it if it just didn't do anything or stopped along the road but works fine when parked up only to have no spark the next day.

When i had my bravo, mine done this i was told i had a cracked sensor in the engine bay, after a diagnostics test. This may help you it may not. But yr problem sounds so much like mine, i nvr got mine fixed just learned to deal with it. I was told bout £70 would fix it. Yes i know im a cheap skate.

Emma

Thank you Emma,

No your not being a cheap skate. If you car was as unreliable as mine there comes a point where you say enough is enough.

My car has only 60k on it but within the last 4 months it has been the light stalks, clutch slave cylinder, dif etc etc.

I have had many fiats over the years but these bravo's take the biscuit.

Gear boxes have always been a weak point and still are, would would think they would have learned. Loading all the electrics through the light stalk instead of the ign key is another stupid idea. How to hell the got a 1.4 to use so much petrol is beyond me!

In the past Fiat were value for money, if you could use a spanner you could fix they cheaply yourself. Now they seem have more problems which can only be fixed by a garage with the proper equipment.
My rant over