Technical no power

Currently reading:
Technical no power

funkie75

i,ve got a 2011 1.2 euro 5 panda and i,ve noticed it is very sluggish and seems like it as no power compared to my dads 2006 1.2 dualogic panda witch is a dam sight quicker.
are these euro 5 pandas normally like this.
this is my first panda and will defintley be my last

If it has a very high top gear (as was fitted to many 500s) 5th gear becomes so high you are always having to shift down to cope with hills or even accelerating at a reasonable rate.

Another issue could be that it's always been driven slowly resulting in a tight engine that won't go and burns more fuel than you'd expect. The "Italian" solution is a few hundred miles of motorway driving.

my dads got a 2006 panda 1.2 witch is a dam sight quicker.
would the catalytic convertor from my farthers 2006 1.2 panda fit on my 2011 panda 1.2 euro 5

I know you have this elsewhere but this reply is more revealing.

In town, my 100HP does not feel much quicker than my wife's 60hp Dynamic. Keep it spinning above 4000 and it really flies but below that you have to stir the gears. It's likely your Euro 5 is similar. As already stated yours may also be tight.

All cars are specc'd for power and MPG with 97 RON petrol. 95 RON retards the spark timing and reduces both. Both the 60 and the 100 feel better on 97 or above petrol, but the the stifling effect of 95 RON is more obvious on the 100HP. I generally use Tesco 99 and find it's cost neutral in terms of miles per £.

Keep it spinning above 4000 and it really flies but below that you have to stir the gears. It's likely your Euro 5 is similar.

IIRC someone once published some graphs from a dyno showing the significant differences in the torque characteristics of the Euro5 1.2 from previous models - I'll see if I can find it.

Update:

OK, found it. Take a look at this post, then read the rest of the thread - it may help you understand why your Panda feels different from your dad's '06. Below 3500 rpm, the '06 will pull away from you every time.

But make no mistake; just changing the cat isn't going to magically improve the real world performance of the later engine. It all goes a lot deeper than that.

There are two lessons to take away from all of this:

1 - there's much, much more to performance and driveability than the headline power output of an engine, and

2 - don't assume that the latest version of anything is necessarily any better, or even as good, as the one it replaced.

Last edited:
The OP has a few recent threads reporting multiple symptoms - cold starting / running problems, increased mpg, cooling system issues and now reduced power - and has carried out a fair bit of work already to try and remedy these, so I can understand they're getting pretty frustrated with their car and are running out of options to fix it.

Funkie75 - have you run any diagnostic software like multiecuscan to see what it picks up?

Hi Funkie75

just spent ages writing a long reply only for the forum to lose it, maybe i took to long over it.

basically fit some Iridium plugs with the money you saved in the road tax difference between your Dads road tax at about £135 and yours at £30,

different euro spec engines drive differently,

conclusion is fit Iridium plugs and see the difference on yours

Tim

Back