Technical No power

Currently reading:
Technical No power

turbo93

Hi all, I should be viewing a 2004 panda with a 1.2 petrol engine. Little back story, this panda needed a new engine for some reason and while at it they replaced the clutch. After getting it fixed it started losing power and the owner decided to sell. What should I be looking for mostly? Not sure on what he means by lack of power cause I haven’t seen it yet. Thanks all

101 reasons for loss of power.

Take it you don't own it. a few things you can check are

State of the plugs if you can

do the hoses get firm when you start the car from cold

any oil in the coolant.

any smell of petrol from the coolant

any coolant in the oil

any blue smoke from the exhaust

any engine check light

There just too many variables. Without more information you are going to a suggestion of every component in the engine

Cars very rarely need a new engine. It happens of course but the Fiat FIRE is pretty tough. More likely it's been used and abused. I would put blown head gasket at the top of the list but as koalar said, it could be so many things.

It's also elderly so corrosion will soon (if not already) be a problem - rear axle, brake pipes, etc.

If you have the skills and can get it for scrap value (£50) then go for it. If you are new to car mechanics - walks away.

Cars very rarely need a new engine. It happens of course but the Fiat FIRE is pretty tough. More likely it's been used and abused. I would put blown head gasket at the top of the list but as koalar said, it could be so many things.

It's also elderly so corrosion will soon (if not already) be a problem - rear axle, brake pipes, etc.

If you have the skills and can get it for scrap value (£50) then go for it. If you are new to car mechanics - walks away.

Ive worked on cars so I know my way around engines. Not professionally just my personal cars [emoji28] what I fear most is a damaged ecu or engine block

Ive worked on cars so I know my way around engines. Not professionally just my personal cars [emoji28] what I fear most is a damaged ecu or engine block

Sorted :) Get it at scrap value and you cant go wrong. (y)

The ECU does have an issue with poor contact on the mulitplugs, but that stops the engine.

The engine (like most today) has a low coolant volume so any loss leads to overheating and a blown head gasket. Compression test will suss that. Gurgling from the heater is an early warning the engine is about to stop. Check the system for coolant leaks and use a mirror to examine the steel pipe at the front of the engine. They rust and leak eventually. The problem is drivers who keep going with the engine dry and cause additional damage.

Badly timed cam belt will make the engine run badly. The 1.2/60 engines are "safe" - the cam belt can fail with no internal damage. There's lots of stuff on here for checking the timing alignments.

Get a copy of Multiecuscan and a set of connectors. That will show what the ECU thinks is going on. It runs on a Windows PC but there is now an iPhone version.

Last edited:
Sorted :) Get it at scrap value and you cant go wrong. (y)

The ECU does have an issue with poor contact on the mulitplugs, but that stops the engine.

The engine (like most today) has a low coolant volume so any loss leads to overheating and a blown head gasket. Compression test will suss that. Gurgling from the heater is an early warning the engine is about to stop. Check the system for coolant leaks and use a mirror to examine the steel pipe at the front of the engine. They rust and leak eventually.

Badly timed cam belt will make the engine run badly. The 1.2/60 engines are "safe" - the cam belt can fail with no internal damage. There's lots of stuff on here for checking the timing alignments.

Get a copy of Multiecuscan and a set of connectors. That will show what the ECU thinks is going on. It runs on a Windows PC but there is now an iPhone version.

Should be viewing it this weekend. According to the seller the clutch is slipping but its been done new.

Puntos had a failure of the gearbox final drive where the gears just spun with no drive. Its supposedly fixed on the Panda but that could be the issue.

I'd look for a different car.

This appears to be a simple case of address the effect, not diagnose the cause.
First engine fails. Anyone can say the engine has failed. So it gets replaced.
Why did it fail. No-one has asked the question, or found the answer.

Favourite could be coolant loss. Not fixed, so replacement engine is now damaged too. Just because original engine was old, does not mean it died of old age.

Pandas are plentiful. Much easier to find a working example than try to fix an unknown broken one. Especially one that has been 'fixed' by incompetents.

I'd look for a different car.

This appears to be a simple case of address the effect, not diagnose the cause.
First engine fails. Anyone can say the engine has failed. So it gets replaced.
Why did it fail. No-one has asked the question, or found the answer.

Favourite could be coolant loss. Not fixed, so replacement engine is now damaged too. Just because original engine was old, does not mean it died of old age.

Pandas are plentiful. Much easier to find a working example than try to fix an unknown broken one. Especially one that has been 'fixed' by incompetents.

On balance you are right. A car that's been abused by incompetence or neglect will never be much good. It's worth scrap value and you'd still have to get it home.

Last edited:
Back