Technical No Key / security card, what do Fiat charge ?

Currently reading:
Technical No Key / security card, what do Fiat charge ?

captainslarty

Banned
Hi all,
Our new panda has not come with the key code / emergency start code card.
We have the two keys.
I would like to get a replacement card with the code and emergency start code on.
What is the charge by Mr. Fiat ?
Anyone needed this doing ?.

I bought a brand new MJ back in 2007 and read the user manual thoroughly.

The manual refers to keeping the security card safe, but I didn't have one !

I rang the dealer and it seems that in the UK the cards are not given to the owner, but retained by the importer. I guess the dealer doesn't get it but it is held by the importer, so a possible leakage of data is removed.

As you've got both keys I'd put one key where you can't use it. My theory is if you only use one key you will always find it, but if you have two keys on the go you will not realise you've lost one until the bin has been emptied !

Bought mine new in 2006 also read about codes so kicked up fuss and the dealer got them for me for free , better to have them to hand in case i need them in the future I thought

Hi all, many thanks for the responses.
One of the problems I can foresee is if the emergency start procedure needed activating (the dance on the throttle pedal Tango whilst watching flashing lights on dash) :confused:
AFAIK, it is standard practice here (Portugal) to issue the card - I am amazed the uk do not !!!
Our problem is that the previous owner has mislaid the card. She remembers having it, and 'putting it in a safe place' lol :eek:
So, in the UK, if your key turns the lock, but the immobiliser remains activated, you cannot start the car as you have not got the code for over-riding the immobiliser ? - I therefore presume you bill Fiat for the time involved in sorting out what you could have fixed with the card quoted as being supplied in your handbook ??:bang:
Baffled..
Car is with Fiat at the moment due to the ABS recall never having being done - we will pick it up tomorrow (Car is 2004 (manufactured 2003) but new to us)
Also possibly the oldest of this model here me thinks, Vin number is just over 83000, so Poland must have just been getting used to them by then lol :D

Will ask them about a replacement tomorrow and see what the response is.
What a super local Fiat dealer we have here too - went in to order a spring for the reverse detent the other day and he adjusted the gear link cables while we waited, no charge, just 4 euro for the spring.. finding dealers like this is a breath of fresh air.

Fiat don't now give you the code card in the UK.
Naff all to do with security. It's so they can charge you for it at a later date.

The codes belong to the car.
You own the car so, you own the codes.
If it went to court. The dealer is within his rights to charge you an admin fee to dig out the codes for you.

Last edited:
Just because you own the car does mean you have the automatic rights to everything technical within it. Like wise Fiat do not have to supply codes just like they don't need to supply ecu mapping information etc.

Naff all to do with security. It's so they can charge you for it at a later date.

It's actually at the request of the UK insurance industry.

My dealer charges £15+vat, and they obtain it direct from the ISR and are charged themselves for this. They haven't much of a mark up if any.

People could get it direct from the ISR themselves, but depends how much time they have on their hands.

The codes belong to the car.
You own the car so, you own the codes.
If it went to court. The dealer is within his rights to charge you an admin fee to dig out the codes for you.
Absolutely agreed, The code is there for emergency starting ! - the key code they could keep for me, that is not an issue if you have two keys, the immobiliser issue IS an issue if it happened to you.
If they have decided on something different inthe uk, they should remove the section from the owner manual, they haven't (AFAIK) - ergo - it is YOUR CARD.

If they have decided on something different inthe uk, they should remove the section from the owner manual, they haven't (AFAIK) - ergo - it is YOUR CARD.

No they shouldn't, or would you have been happy paying more for a new car because of this. Its all down to costs, and it does clearly state 'where provided', or to the effect there of.

you have a very, very strange outlook ?
It is an emergency starting code for the owner. - it is not a case of paying any more for anything.
What do you propose the owner does if the car does not start due to the very problem the code is supposed to correct ?
There is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to provide the cards, they are there for a purpose. You are ENTITLED to them.
More fool the owners like yourself for accepting the situation. They are rightfully yours. Thats all she wrote. - well THIS is what is written old boy. :rolleyes:

CODE card - Keep the code card in a safe place, not in the car. You should always keep the electronic card code written on the CODE card with you in case you need to carry out an emergency start-up procedure.

The car is delivered with two copies of the
key, and the CODE card which bears the
following:

A the electronic code to be used for
emergency starting (see “Emergency
starting” in section “Correct use of the
car”).
B the mechanical key code to be given to
the Fiat Dealership when ordering duplicate
keys.
Make sure you have the electronic code
A with you at all times in the event you
have to perform an emergency start-up.

notice - NO "Where provided" - ready, fire, aim ?

Last edited:
Overhere the card is provided to the owner when new. Like said above owners tend to keep them in a place so secure that they forget about it.
Had to pay €50 for the codecard when a new bodycomputer was fitted in the Stilo MW. Panda prices will be similar I presume.

gr J

Overhere the card is provided to the owner when new. Like said above owners tend to keep them in a place so secure that they forget about it.
Had to pay €50 for the codecard when a new bodycomputer was fitted in the Stilo MW. Panda prices will be similar I presume.

gr J
I honestly believe the situation is the same in the UK, it is just dealers ripping the buyers off and buyers falling for their lies (IMHO of course) - The manual even STATES that the code card is provided, no if's or but's.
Rip off Britain again. :bang: ;) Thank god for sunshine and Europe as alternatives (y)

notice - NO "Where provided" - ready, fire, aim ?

Fair play, just checked the Panda handbook and this is the case, not so with the 2004 Stilo handbook we've got though.

If that were the case, the insurance companies are guilty of discriminating against Italian vehicles.

How does having the code card compromise the security of the vehicle ?

You have got to be joking me, you of all people asking that!!!!

Lets think, idiot leaves code card in glove box, car gets broken into and thief finds this. Thief then hot wires the car and uses the security code to activate emergency start procedure, and wholla, car is stolen.

This is the only reason the UK insurance industry has asked Fiat to do this, and quite rightly so. I'd rather it like this than my insurance increased by £30 for each of our Fiats each year to take into account more getting stolen due to code cards being supplied and left in the glove box.

You have a pin number for your bank card, you memorise it or write it down, many use a telephone number to a certain company / person and put the number in that etc, they dont carry a card with the number written on it.
The same for the emergency code, dont carry the code in the car, write it down, it is simplicity itself to disguise in a telephone book or even as a contact in a mobile phone.
Anyone who leaves the card in the car deserves to have it nicked ;)
However, it is THEIR choice if they want to be stupid enough to leave it in the car. Not for someone to tell them they cannot have it ! (again - I do not believe this is the actual case, I think it is custom and practice and the public are being conned in the UK)

I believe EKA (emergency key access using the card and a pedal dance) is only possible on older vehicles.

However, it is THEIR choice if they want to be stupid enough to leave it in the car. Not for someone to tell them they cannot have it ! (again - I do not believe this is the actual case, I think it is custom and practice and the public are being conned in the UK)

No it isn't, if they want UK insurance then its a term they're going to have to live with.

It really is that simple, has been for the last decade and will be for the next.

I believe EKA (emergency key access using the card and a pedal dance) is only possible on older vehicles.

Can be done on all CODE2 systems I believe.

Well, I am not in the UK, so not in your nanny state, it is certainly not the case here in a civilised and structured society. If you can show actual documented proof of what you say re insurance I will accept it, otherwise I must surely conclude you are giving out disinformation to users as some have got their cards and some have not.
Which is a shame.

Back