Technical No hot start ?!? can anyone help?

Currently reading:
Technical No hot start ?!? can anyone help?

shotokan18

Hi guys, newbie to the website, ok heres my problem.

Bought a 2000 (W reg) seicento 899cc, no red key (should there b 1 for this model?) Anyway it starts first time most of the time when engine cold, but when engine is hot it turns over but wont quite start. Took it to autolec today and couldnt fix problem, said its the immobiliser, and may need a new ecu and could b very expensive (£500-£600!)

Has anyone else had this problem? are there any other alternatives?
any help appreciated,

Gavin

THanks m8, its got the transponder sign with a 2 below it so im pretty sure its the 2nd gen key and doesnt need the red master key. Thats that problem sorted now can anyone else advise me on the immobiliser problem, is there any way of bypassing it then? I've read about this Mccritch chip but can i get it for the 899cc model? would this chip solve my starting problems?

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers,

Gav

If it's turning over and almost catching but not quite, and the code light isn't on, then it might not be anything to do with the immobiliser.
Does the injection warning light come on?

Try a service - plugs, leads, air and fuel filter.

the code light goes off as soon as the key is turned but the injection warning light does come on but only for a few seconds then goes off. When the engine is hot i can sometimes start it if i catch the ignition just as the light goes off but most of the time it doesnt work. Its very temperamental! What good would a service do? would it fix the problems? It only has 15000 miles on the clock so what would it need doing?:confused:
cheers

Gav

fixitagaintomorrow said:
If it's turning over and almost catching but not quite, and the code light isn't on, then it might not be anything to do with the immobiliser.
Does the injection warning light come on?

Try a service - plugs, leads, air and fuel filter.

yea i dont think it even turns over if its the imobiliser

IIRC the immobiliser disables the fuel pump...so technically it would turn fine but not catch. But the CODE light would stay on.

It sounds similar to a problem my mate was having with his DD Fiesta, the fuel filter was clogged and starving the thing of fuel.

I dunno tbh...the fuel system is something Im yet to play with....

...mainly as if I get it wrong it stands a rather high chance of damaging me insitu (unlike the brakes which'd put me into a tree whilst driving or something)

Right Guys, Took it to a garage that specializes in electrical problems, if anyone lives in the south wales area, these guys deserve a mention as they know what theyre talking about: Pratts Garage, Coedcae Lane Ind Est, Pontyclun, R.C.T.
Now they've had a free plug i'll tell you what the problem was: TDC (a.k.a the Crankshaft) sensor needed replacing. It was sending a very weak signal to the injector via the ECU and was only giving a squirt of petrol when it received a strong enough signal as the pistons moved and in turn it wasnt enough to give it that extra bit needed to start.
I've been to the fiat dealer and ordered a new 1 now (£31.96 inc. VAT) and will have it by thursday!
Lets hope thats all that was wrong, but the guy at the garage seemed confident that was all!
Thanks for your comments though and maybe this info will help others on the forum :)

Back