Technical No heating

Currently reading:
Technical No heating

Becareful if its boiling up,

irember years ago seeing a lady broke down in a ford fiesta,
she said car is making a roaring noise, iopened bonet and had a look,
the rad cap nearly took my face off,they was metal then..iwalked away with
a scalded face, true story,

please be careful,if its pushing water up..let it cool down before looking for the cause, ;)

haha yeah, not looking for some nice burn marks! Let it to cool down before opening it up. I will see if the cap looks okay tomorrow. very strange seeing as it was fine just over a week ago :S

Thats just it,
if water is escaping you wont have to open it,
it will force its self off,

if you got the cap local,your best bet is leaving the car at home and taking
awalk down to the shop and ask them to change it,

headgaskets are abit frail on small engines, and temp gauges arnt always accurate, just like the fuel guage,

Thats just it,
if water is escaping you wont have to open it,
it will force its self off,

if you got the cap local,your best bet is leaving the car at home and taking
awalk down to the shop and ask them to change it,

headgaskets are abit frail on small engines, and temp gauges arnt always accurate, just like the fuel guage,

got it off a fiat parts site that is common on here (not sure on the rules of posting website names?)

I will try changing the cap if that doesn't work what would you suggest is the next test?

I am a bit worried about the head gasket. Apart from the water coming out of the cap there are no real signs that it is damaged however I am still a little worried. Is a compression test a sure fire way to determine if it is damaged?

i had same problems with antifreeze blowing out of the radiator cap, reason for it was overfilled reservoir and bad cap

u need to fill reservoir so its between the min and max marks

Coolant is just under the max line

The pipes don't look buldged. They feel hard once the engine is running and soft when engine is off. no kinks either.

I have a feeling it may just be a bad cap because I have never had this problem before. I had the problem with the heating and lost the cap whilst working on the car. I covered the hole to stop anything going in there whilst I waited for new cap. New cap came from eurocarcare and I am having this problem. All of that makes me suspect the cap. (i just like to air on the side of caution!:confused:)

does water come out of top 'bleeder on rad'

is rad blocked up with rad weld?

imentioned somewhere in begining of thread..iirc change thermostat,
but..obviously this might of been missed,

does water come out of top 'bleeder on rad'

is rad blocked up with rad weld?

imentioned somewhere in begining of thread..iirc change thermostat,
but..obviously this might of been missed,

Water only comes out of the bleeder on the rad if I open it. No pressure build up that makes it leak.

When I bled it out the coolant came out clear so doesn't look like there is loads of rubbish in there.

Missed the bit about the thermostat actually! Is that the one in the housing of the green plug sort of thing?

For what they cost,thats what id change anyway,
iirc there around 12quid'ish for a genuine stat,.

https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-2b-guides/348260-thermostat-change.html

Okay cool. I will add that to my basket over at eurocarparts. I have just aken the car out for a 6 mile run with light/medium traffic. Didn't go over the middle of the temp gague and when I got home I just popped the bonnet and there was no leaking so hopefully it will continue to be okay.

I am going to change the thermo and the reversing sensor during the week I think.

I am guessing it is an easy job to change the radiator?

Ahh thanks for the advice! What is the best way to clean the surface on the engine and get a good seal between the two? Any tips?

a scraper like you would use to remove wallpaper with a small blade
then a rough up with emery cloth/sand paper
gasket comes with a gates
you might want to lightly rtv the two surfaces
remember new jubilee clip required too
careful undoing old one they can be razors
its safer to get old thermostat off engine pull hose forward then carefully peel the old lip off against itself to break it
wear gloves if a bit wussy:)

Back