General No gears after clutch replacement

Currently reading:
General No gears after clutch replacement

jajc238

Hi guys need some advice,
Had a mobile mechanic do a clutch replacement on my 2006 grande.
All went well untill time to start it. Cant get it into gear, it makes a crunching/wirring sound. Should the slave cylinder be changed aswell? Mechanic reckons thats the issue. Have been told reason it wont go in gear is cause it needs a new slave cylinder. Any advice? Cheers

It sounds as if I think hes fitted something wrongly. Its easily done. My bet is the clutch plate fitted back to front. A problem with the clutch release fork could also cause this sort of problem. If the clutch worked before it should still. The clutch system can be bled but there is no reason why this should be necessary. A mobile mechanic should have checked this if it was required and done it while there as its 2 minutes work while the geabox is exposed. If the slave cylinder were to blame it would probably be leaking fluid.. Get someone to operate the pedal and see if the slave cylinder is moving. You should see the rod move an inch to one and a half inches when the pedal is pressed. It can be seen if you look directly down to the left of the battery the pushrod runs across teh car on top of the gearbox.

Slave cylinders are not he best quality things on hte Panda, they are made of plastic. They creak when the pedal is pressed when getting old, and can stick causing the pedal to stay down on the floor. Cost is c£35. I have just changed one of ours its not a complicated job about half an hours labour

Cheers.for that, got it picked up today by a garage, hes certain its back to front so illl see what happens

Thanks for update.
Question.
Mine drives OK, but slave cylinders leak after 3-6 months. Plastic, metal ones, used, brand new - doesn't matter.
I suspect wrong clutch too (or installed incorrectly).

Was there a leak in your slave-cylinder?

No leak in mine bud. Just the idiot messing clutch up and costing me just 650 alltogether

Back