Next Car

Currently reading:
Next Car

20v (non Turbo) Coupe, or Bravo HGT?

• Total voters
Well after the shock prices of insurance i had earlier, plans for the cinq have well and truely been blown out of the water. Ive always wanted a coupe, and thats now a reality, but the bravo HGT (yellow with abarth kit) is also very very appealing.

Help me choose :p Any issues with either would be greatly appreciated :)

too be honest the problems are the same for both, cambelt primarily

i think if you could get a brrom yellow hgt, with abarth kit and some nice wheels you would be onto a winner.

as much as i love the coupe, whats the point of doing it half heartedly? 20vt or nothing for me, unlless its a 20vt in a bravo.. then im away with the fairies :D

grannted, i am a touch biased towards the bravo, but i do love the coupes

too be honest the problems are the same for both, cambelt primarily

i think if you could get a brrom yellow hgt, with abarth kit and some nice wheels you would be onto a winner.

as much as i love the coupe, whats the point of doing it half heartedly? 20vt or nothing for me, unlless its a 20vt in a bravo.. then im away with the fairies :D

grannted, i am a touch biased towards the bravo, but i do love the coupes

Well it'll only be a bridge car ultimately, id go straight for the 20vT but cant really afford to run it straight out of uni :( So i'll run the NA for couple of years and save up for a good exampe of a 20vT Coupe or buy a bit of a minger and restore her completely :). If i get the NA coupe, can transfer parts over that i bought for it (ie LE skirts etc)... which tbh is the route im probably gonna take :)

Well it'll only be a bridge car ultimately, id go straight for the 20vT but cant really afford to run it straight out of uni :( So i'll run the NA for couple of years and save up for a good exampe of a 20vT Coupe or buy a bit of a minger and restore her completely :). If i get the NA coupe, can transfer parts over that i bought for it (ie LE skirts etc)... which tbh is the route im probably gonna take :)

if its only a bridger then get the bravo as the change will feel more special, you will go from pretty fast hatch to pretty rapid :D coupe

the 20v coupe is a good car, and feels quicker than the bravo, but at the end of the day, by the time your ready for a 20vt, the prices should have dropped and you could afford an LE rather than swap parts over

you can also get a good HGT cheaper than a good coupe

Well after what you said to me on MSN a little while ago I know you're really eager for the Coop N/A and I say go for it dude (y)

If you can afford it then you've gotta do it :slayer:

I still cant get that dark green Coop 20vT that I followed to work this morning out of my mind :yum: I couldnt stop looking at it :eek:

But for me you know which one Im going for :D

I'd like a test drive in a Coupe both a 20v and a 20vt before i'd decide on this poll but tbh, the next car i go for will prob be a nice oil burner, as already do approx 15K a yr and i'm still at uni! And currently in the HGT thats pretty expensive. Will all depend on various factors including job etc, a Audi, VW or Volvo may be my next car. Remapped of course!

After my car accident last year my insurance went sky high so thats why i went for the Bravo 1.4

The plan was to run it round for a couple of years build up the no claims then go back to something with power, unfortunately Barney is now under my skin and a part of the family so when i go for the coupe i'm keeping Barney too

Damn Fiats and their magical personalities :D

I think you should really consider if you can afford a coupe before buying one. As i have posted in the coupe section before, they are very costly to maintain.

If i was you i would just buy a bravo HGT - see how you get on with that for a year and then consider the coupe. The bravos are ace cars and a nice step before a coupe.

I know quite a few people who have jumped into buying a coupe and simply couldnt meet the running costs.

Take brickfoot who used to be on here. He had a cinq bought a coupe 20vt then sold it after a few months, cos it was too much. Then bought a bravo HGT, again kept it for a few months sold it. Now he drive a pug 306 ;)

Its a lot of money to lose, buying the car is the cheapest part of owning a coupe. Listen to someone who knows :)

I think you should really consider if you can afford a coupe before buying one. As i have posted in the coupe section before, they are very costly to maintain.

If i was you i would just buy a bravo HGT - see how you get on with that for a year and then consider the coupe. The bravos are ace cars and a nice step before a coupe.

I know quite a few people who have jumped into buying a coupe and simply couldnt meet the running costs.

Take brickfoot who used to be on here. He had a cinq bought a coupe 20vt then sold it after a few months, cos it was too much. Then bought a bravo HGT, again kept it for a few months sold it. Now he drive a pug 306 ;)

Its a lot of money to lose, buying the car is the cheapest part of owning a coupe. Listen to someone who knows :)

Maintenance costs arent a problem :) Ive spent so much maintaining my car at the moment (not the usual wait till its broken before i fix it style), im not the kind of person to do a half assed job :p I also dont drink / smoke / go out much as id rather spend every penny i own on my car. Sad, but thats my vice :p

The reason why im waiting till the summer is due to the running costs. At the moment im still at uni, so the cinq is still perfect for that task as a full tank lasts me a week (circa 250 miles). In the summer im done so will be starting my career, and in doing so will be working in teh city so will be on teh train most of the time. So mileage wear on the car will be next to none :)

The 20vT is not an option realistically for another good few years yet, but ive always loved the coupe and upon finding the 20v is easily insurable and runnable, it seems the logical choice...

That said, the HGT does seem to be the better bridge car option if i do opt for the 20vT in the end - but even thats not a cast iron garantee as this will be more of a sensible car (i shall be building a kitcar for my fun/beast car). So if i run the HGT and never upgrade to the 20vT, then ive missed out my coupe ownership :eek: But theres just something about the HGT also, im torn!

Last edited:
Luke, GET THE COUPE :eek: none of this tosh about a HGT.

You know it makes sence. why buy the bravo when the coupe is far superior in everyway! Its farrrr better looking too. Maintenence cost will be exactly the same as on a HGT anyway.

As for only getting a coupe if your going for the turbo.... why? The NA version is the more reliable yet still bloody quick and sporty version. Yes the turbo is the top of the range but so what? thats like saying why go for a Punto Sporting if you can afford a Punto GT? Because you dont want to... the NA version is great as it is. Its cheaper to run, more reliable and its still a damn coupe regardless of whats under the bonnet (y)

As for this bridge car rubbish... get the coupe anyway because its gonna cost you the same as the HGT anyway and its the car you want. you know the HGT is only second best, youve told me before that you would go for a coupe hands down if you could afford it.

coupe coupe coupe

(only cause i want to sit in it and pretend its mine :p )

Last edited:
Luke mate you've pretty much answered your own question, you want the Coupe no doubt about it so just go for it (y)

As for the N/A being quick enough, I can certainly vouch for that. If it moves in the Bravo then it will move in the Coupe :slayer:

I will chat to you properly about it on MSN a little bit later mate but lets just say after my test drive of the Bravo HGT yesterday not only did I have myself convinced that I definately want a Bravo HGT but I also heard something that I never thought I would:

"OK I love my Turbo Cinq but even I would be seriously tempted by the 5pot, it sounds f*cking amazing" - Alex (GhostWKD)

He said that and he didnt even drive it, he just sat in the back while I took it for a test drive.

Oh and I just want to add....... I love the 2.0 20v 5pot :worship:

Back