newbie with tire problems

Currently reading:
newbie with tire problems

dechtera

Hey everyone,

I've had my 2015 fiat 500 sport for just under 4 years now. Im getting some new tires and I've noticed that 195/45R16 are either expensive or not very common. I usually run all seasons and was wondering what other people used.
I was told I could use 205/50R16 but I never got a correct answer on if they rub or it needed spacers.

Any help would be appreciated!

My first thought was that 16" wheels seemed enormous for a 500, but specs are different in North America.

205/50 is bigger in width, and height from the wheel rim, so space may well be an issue.

Have a look on these guy's website: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/advice-and-tips

Tyre size calculator will show alternatives that will be close to what you have already.
Fit the tyre to the rim may be useful in giving tyre sizes that will fit the rim without issues. The rim should have size markings on it somewhere, just needs a close look.
You can then check the sizes and prices to determine popularity and choose the least stressful for you.

Thanks for the reply!

I checked out the link you provided and was given these as options
165/50 R16 -1.8%
175/50 R16 -0.1%
215/40 R16 -0.6%
225/40 R16 -0.8%

Another guy had told me he uses 205/45R16 (not 50 as I originally put) and has no rubbing but he has an abarth and I have a 500 sport so Im not sure what to get.

I'd not go narrower, unless they are pure winter tyres for use in winter only.
Otherwise, I'd be looking for the smallest difference, such as the 215. The tyre is nominally 20mm wider, 10mm each side, and will cause your speedometer to read a little higher due to its smaller rolling diameter.
A bit odd that 225 shows a smaller rolling diameter, as 40% of 225 must be more than 40% of 215.
Availability and price need to be researched too, to avoid the problem that brought you here.

Back