500 Newbie with 500 issues (literally)

Currently reading:
500 Newbie with 500 issues (literally)

Carlton1512

Hi, recently purchased my daughter her first car as she will be learning to drive soon and got her a Fiat500 Pop. All seems ok(ish) apart from since I installed an Android head unit to replace the radio/CD player. I've got the flashing mileage issue and also the full beam head lights don't work😬. Anyway, seems a great little car despite the niggles😊

Welcome to the forum. You're probably aware but it's worth saying; the full beam headlight bulbs are in the DRL housing, not in the main headlights with the low beam. It's weird, but that's FIAT!
Thank you, yes I only found that out the other day, I've got some new bulbs so just need a bit of time to put them in (and a bit of dry weather😊)

Start the car headlights OFF are the day running lights on, in the bumper?
Turn on headlights working OK low beam above bumper? And dim side lights in bumper?
Flick onto beam, is the blue tell tale on, on the dash? Now are the bumper lights fully on? It's highly unlikely both bulbs have failed together but possible more like a fuse or relay.
What age is the car, there are several well know "issues" that affect older cars that are fairly straightforward to resolve.

Start the car headlights OFF are the day running lights on, in the bumper?
Turn on headlights working OK low beam above bumper? And dim side lights in bumper?
Flick onto beam, is the blue tell tale on, on the dash? Now are the bumper lights fully on? It's highly unlikely both bulbs have failed together but possible more like a fuse or relay.
What age is the car, there are several well know "issues" that affect older cars that are fairly straightforward to resolve.
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. It's a 2009 Pop. I've done what you suggested and DRL's come on when the car is started, then the headlights come on when switched on. The full beam symbol appears when the stalk is pushed forward, but neither of the full beam bulbs light up. I've tried changing the fuse and relay, but neither helped, so going to change the bulbs at the weekend. Hoping it will be that🤞

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. It's a 2009 Pop. I've done what you suggested and DRL's come on when the car is started, then the headlights come on when switched on. The full beam symbol appears when the stalk is pushed forward, but neither of the full beam bulbs light up. I've tried changing the fuse and relay, but neither helped, so going to change the bulbs at the weekend. Hoping it will be that🤞
Note the bulb is held in by a clip that's held in place by a screw not the normal style fixing, it's very easy to drop the screw into the cluster so maybe blu tack on the end, you could try a meter on the wire first or a supply to the bulb to see if it works before trying to remove?

Note the bulb is held in by a clip that's held in place by a screw not the normal style fixing, it's very easy to drop the screw into the cluster so maybe blu tack on the end, you could try a meter on the wire first or a supply to the bulb to see if it works before trying to remove?
Thanks, unfortunately I don't have a meter thing, but I might look at getting one. It's proving a bit frustrating this car so far, I changed the head unit to one of the Android units but now have the flashing mileage. I've tried the battery reset method, but didn't work so I've ordered some of the ELM327 cables etc, but realised I ordered ones that come with the drivers on a cd/DVD. My computer doesn't have a CD drive!😬

Anybody able to suggest anything else that could possibly cause the main (full) beams not to work. Literally pulling my hair out. Changed fuse, changed relay, changed one bulb, but still nothing and not working😭😭😭

What were the bulbs that came out..?

Often people complain of the standard headlight output...always a chance some

Previous owner had overstressed the wiring circuit

So : check the bulbs are the same rating as the Owners Handbook
(Test if they still work..)

Then its time to see if you are still getting a reliable 12volt supply .and a good earth

Anybody able to suggest anything else that could possibly cause the main (full) beams not to work. Literally pulling my hair out. Changed fuse, changed relay, changed one bulb, but still nothing and not working😭😭😭
At this point you might have to get a multimeter to test further. Check power supply and earthing at the bulb end.

You can often get a cheap very good meter in Lidl or Aldi, next test would be pull the relay and test to see if there's a switched signal to the relay, or place your finger on it turn on ignition but don't start have someone flash the main beam can you hear or feel the relay click? If not then it could be the supply to it, the switching signal(from the BCM body control module), the earth on the relay?
With a meter check between the output pin in box(relay removed) and the wire to the bulb under the bumper to check the continuity of the loom you nay need to extend the meter wire.
Stupid question did main beam work before the radio install( when was it mot'd)

Last edited:
Like this in Aldi

Attachments

• 20221029_160345.jpg
    20221029_160345.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Apologies for the delay in replying, I've been manically busy with work so the car has been put on a back burner for a bit.

Finally got the issue resolved tonight as the guy I purchased the car from was an auto electrician. He came out had a look and the issue was the full beam was blowing the standard 5 amp fuse. He put a 10 amp fuse in and the full beam headlight now work. He did a few other tests and changed the bulbs, but thankfully, at last the full beam lights now work!

Thanks everyone for their help, advice and suggestions, very much appreciated👍

Thanks, the existing fuse was a 5amp and when I checked online fuse box diagrams all say 5amp, but the one thing I stupidly didn't check was the manual, which as you say is 15amp! So frustrated with my self. And breathe....
The 10 will work but if you drove any length of time full beam it would fail, a flash or min or two it would last

Back