Technical (newbie) Upgrading to Apple Carplay

Currently reading:
Technical (newbie) Upgrading to Apple Carplay

johnag007

Hello,

I cannot seem to find answers to this on the net, I presume because Carplay is so new.

I got my wife a Riva with a 7" display and satnav just the other day and it did not come with Carplay. I asked the dealer but he got cagey, presumably as he wanted to book the sale.

I have no problems paying for this (obviously within reason).

Any help where this can be found would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

JAG

Has to be installed at the factory, the dealership won't be able to add this afterwards, so if you're buying a car you would have needed to order the car with it already.

I believe in Fiat it requires a specific radio unit with touch screen to be installed.

Speaking from experience, when I bought my VW golf I specified I wanted CarPlay and they assured me if it didn't have it they would just install it afterwards, well it didn't have it and it 'couldn't be added' after numerous threats that they had basically promised something they couldn't deliver and I would reject the car on those grounds, they had to get in touch with VWs German R&D department to try and find a work around, they eventually 6 months later found a way to install it, but the VW head Units are essentially all the same with different software for different features, Fiat however seem to fit a different radio to cars seemingly randomly.

Even if you could pay for it, I believe just the software licence is £100 then the installation costs assuming your head unit would take it, VW required a special:specific type of USB port to support it the part alone was about another £80. if not it could be £1200 for a new radio.

When I had mine done the dealership had to foot the bill as they had promised to install the software, I think they got a pretty hefty bill from VW as well from the R&D department.

Last edited:
I doubt they got a bill from VAG. I work for a car manufacturer these days and it's probably a lot more simple for a decent manufacturer (read BMW, VAG etc etc) than you'd expect.

With a BMW you just add an extra bit of harness, a new head unit or combox, idrive controller and screen and have a completely different infotainment system.

Maybe it's (no disrespect) the fact that's BMW people have a bit more money and a BMW is worth a bit more that makes people look into it and put a bit more effort into doing these things.

With my F31 I just plugged an OBD2 cable into the car and coded Bluetooth streaming and and voila it worked. Only stuff like KESSY is extortionately expensive and complicated to do on a BMW. I had it on a Mondeo hire car recently and it was pretty much a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Do not assume this will be possible, at least, not at any reasonable cost. Retro installing infotainment components not originally fitted at the factory is often prohibitively complex and expensive.

As Maxi says, it shouldn't be this way, but historical experience with similar upgrades in previous 500's has sadly shown that with Fiat, very often it is.

For example, retro fitting Blue&Me to a 500 after it's left the factory will likely cost significantly more than trading the car in for a model that had it installed as standard. AFAIK, no one has ever done it.

In this case, I suspect that only your Fiat dealer will be able to give you a definitive answer. The Apple website lists only 2018 model 500's as being compatible; so not a good omen (unless yours is a 2018 model).

Last edited:
Thanks, the only thing to do is get Apple to design radios then! At least the car is great!

Just wanted to hear if anyone after 2 years has successfully upgraded their uConnect to Apple Carplay?

It is doable but there is a lot of fuzz around it.

Currently I am struggling with this problem but I do hope to get all the things in place rather sooner than later...

What needs to happen is:
1. install a version of uconnect hardware which provides support for CarPlay
2. install the GPS antenna (if not installed already)
3. write the cars VIN into the "new" uconnect (can be done only at the dealership)
4. reconfigure the proxi to get carplay and android auto

I am currently somewhere between 3 and 4. For some reason carplay does not work fully and I haven't written the VIN into the radio yet (I'm planning to visit the dealership tomorrow and talk to them about this).

Anyone else has gone through such adventures?

I managed to get CarPlay to work in my Fiat 500.

What I did:
1. roll back to my original proxi
2. Used AlfaOBD to set "GPS module" to "Enabled"
3. updated proxi with byte 157 set to 01, byte 160 set to 01 and byte 235 set to 80

and almost all is working good now :)

What is NOT working yet - eco::drive.

I believe that this is because my Uconnect7 was originally installed in an Abarth vehicle and this can be observed nicely with AlfaOBD when checking the system:
Code:
Software Change Level: AAA
Part Change Level: A
Sales Code: 7Q8
I believe that if I would update the SCL and PCL the Uconnect software would start calculating the eco::drive functions once again.

Can someone read those values from a Fiat 500 with a 7Q8 Uconnect unit? Thanks!

Is there someone who can read those values from any Fiat 500 Uconnect7 unit? It can be NAVI or not, DAB or not.

I really would like to verify my concept on why does eco::drive not calculate at all on my unit.

Hi Topdrive

What was the price of the new head unit?

Is it worth it to purchase an OBD and if so what do you think about the Foxwell NT301 which I can find in Halfords for £65?

I managed to get CarPlay to work in my Fiat 500.

Well done; that's a considerable achievement.

From what you've posted, you clearly have a depth of technical knowledge to enable you to do stuff like this.

I wouldn't stress too much about getting eco:bang:rive working; personally I don't think its output is of much use.

Last edited:
What was the price of the new head unit?

I bought a used one in Poland (where I live). It was around 150GBP.

Is it worth it to purchase an OBD and if so what do you think about the Foxwell NT301 which I can find in Halfords for £65?

I would rather buy a STN1170 based USB OBD diagnostic cable + AlfaOBD ( or MultiEcuScan) license. It allows to do more than any simple OBD diagnostic tool but is a bit harder to use (at least in the beginning).

As for ecodrive I don't care much about the feature itself. My Fiat has the TFT display and currently the right side of it is a static picture doing nothing (ecoindex is always 0). Just the sense of wasting that part of the display is bugging me :). I would prefer to make it do anything.. Even in SPORT mode id does not show the GAS% value (this means that 3rd CAN is not connected to the TFT cluster - most probably at least). ecodrive is something that the Uconnect can feed to the cluster with ease but in Abarth I think that the calculation of it is disabled. What makes the unit think it's an Abarth? It may be the part number, but it would be a bit too complex, as those can change quite rapidly. SCL and PCL seem to be a good logical choice to switch between Fiat and Abarth functionalities internally in the unit... ;)

Anyone can help with AlfaOBD information from Uconnect7 from a Fiat 500?

It only is couple of clicks away to get it when the OBD is connected.. :)
To get it:
1. select proper car in AlfaOBD, choose Uconnect in Radio
2. click Connect
3. click on Status/Faults
4. click Read System ID (or System Status, can't tell from memory which one was it).

The information should be at the end (or very close to the end of the log).

Thanks! :)

Hi

im trying to do something simular with a 500 2017 TwinAir, i want to swap out the 5in uConnect for at (abarth) 2019 7in uConncect with Nav and apple car play. i have the 7in unit in the car, i have cable and MultiEcuScan. just waiting on GPS in the post too :(

At the moment i need the unlock code (which seems like only Fiat can supply when they are open after the virus :bang: ) and then i need to probably proxi align. then i might need some info if the features are not enabled. guessing a logo change might be good from abarth to fiat :)

hi

i will try with the demo version of alfaobd, i have my 7in head unit connected but waiting for a code which is doing my head in :)

Tested device: UCONNECT Entertainment Telematic Module

08/04/2020 14:55:06
DEVICE INFO:
Fiat drawing number: 735709072
VIN - Current: ZFA3120000JC77068
Hardware number: F.EU.D6.V26
Hardware version: 26
Software number: 23.00.81.03
Software version: 2300
Homologation number: 031634
ISO code: 0024705515
SINCOM:
Factory:
Serial No:
VIN - Original: ZFA3120000JC77068
Vehicle from VIN: 500
Boot Software Identification Supplier: Continental
Application Software Supplier: Continental
Application Data Identification Supplier: Continental
FM Signal Strength: 8 dBuV
Actual LW Frequency: 0 KHz
Actual MW Frequency: 0 KHz
Actual FM Frequency: 103.00
Actual SW Frequency: 0 KHz
Actual HD Sub-Channel: 0
Actual DAB Channel:
FM2 Signal Strength: 39 dB/uV
Radio Volume Setting: 18 steps
Bass Setting: Neutral
Treble Setting: Neutral
Balance Setting: Neutral
Fade Setting: Neutral
Mid-Range Setting: Neutral
INFO button: Not pressed
AUDIO menu button: Not pressed
Power ON button: Not pressed
Scan Up: Not pressed
Scan Down: Not pressed
Enter/Select button: Not pressed
Lightning/Dark button: Not pressed
Mute button: Not pressed
ESC button: Not pressed
Radio Button: Not pressed
Player/Media button: Not pressed
Navigator button: Not pressed
Phone button: Not pressed
More Button: Not pressed
Eject CD: Not pressed
ABC button: Not pressed
MEM 1: Not pressed
MEM 2: Not pressed
MEM 3: Not pressed
MEM 4: Not pressed
MEM 5: Not pressed
MEM 6: Not pressed
Browse/Enter: Not pressed
Settings: Not pressed
Volume + button: Not pressed
Volume - button: Not pressed
Up button: Not pressed
Down button: Not pressed
Steering Wheel Module Interface:
Volume + button: Not active
Volume - button: Not active
Scan Up: Not active
Scan Down: Not active
Source button: Not active
Voice button: Not active
Pick Up: Not active
Hang Up: Not active
Mute button: Not active
Preset button: Not active
ECU Functional Status:
Key status: Ignition On
Standby Status: No
ECU temperature: 60 °C
Signal strength of DAB: 0 dB/uV
Bit Error Rate of DAB Signal: 000*10-00
Actual FM2 Frequency: 92.50
ECU Current Internal Settings:
Distortion Limiting: Off
Clock Defeat: Off
Stereo Blend: Off
High Cut: On
Automated Loudness: Off
Anti-Theft Enable Status: On
12/24 Time Selection: On
Front Seat Video Playback: Off
Brand Splash Screen: Abarth
Override Country Code from FCM: Disabled
Radio Mode Selection: FM/HD
ECU Qualification:
Satellite digital audio receiver (SDAR)Not present
Navigation Active: Present
Cellular: Not present
Internal CD Player: Not present
Wi-Fi: Not present
Bluetooth: Present
Application Framework: Present
FM Diversity: Not present
Digital audio broadcasting (DAB): Present
Aux In: Not present
External USB: Present
Navigation ready: Present
Battery voltage: 11.70 V
ECU Time Stamps (RAM): 180 min
ECU Time Stamps From Key On (RAM): 1575 sec
Odometer: 32770.00 km
Time since Key-On (eeprom): 675 sec
Key On Counter (EEPROM): 3523
ECU Time first DTC detection (EEPROM): 0 min
ECU Time Stamps from KeyOn first DTC detection (EEPROM): 0 sec
Key-On counter alignment: 54
Software Change Level: AAA
Part Change Level: A
Sales Code: 7QC

hi

im still waiting to hear back from FIAT UK, they should be re-opening soon....:bang: also noticed the VIN must be from the previous car it was installed in as its not my VIN. Also the headunit is branded Abarth so not sure if that dump helped :)

DGinUK i'm fitting a 7" system into my daughters 500 which I brought off ebay. I tried the unlock code which was provided but it didn't work so I went online and used radiocodes.co.uk you have to provide them with the long serial number found on the head unit and it cost £15, I had to wait about 2 hours due to the lock down but they confirmed the number I had been given was correct and the same.

My problem is I have fitted the new unit and it doesn't recognise the unlock code and I had tried a Proxi align (I have an OBD and licened version of Multiecuscan) but I keep getting a "Failed to Execute (Entertainement Telematic Node (ETM) FAILED - Request out of range error" displayed.

I'm not affiliated with radiocodes but can vouch for good service. If you get your code I'd be interested to know if you get same issue I do.

Good luck and if anyone can help me I'd be grateful

Last edited:
DGinUK i'm fitting a 7" system into my daughters 500 which I brought off ebay. I tried the unlock code which was provided but it didn't work so I went online and used radiocodes.co.uk you have to provide them with the long serial number found on the head unit and it cost £15, I had to wait about 2 hours due to the lock down but they confirmed the number I had been given was correct and the same.

My problem is I have fitted the new unit and it doesn't recognise the unlock code and I had tried a Proxi align (I have an OBD and licened version of Multiecuscan) but I keep getting a "Failed to Execute (Entertainement Telematic Node (ETM) FAILED - Request out of range error" displayed.

I'm not affiliated with radiocodes but can vouch for good service. If you get your code I'd be interested to know if you get same issue I do.

Good luck and if anyone can help me I'd be grateful

What head unit did you buy from eBay?? What year is the car?

Back