General Newbie needs info on buying a Stilo

Currently reading:
General Newbie needs info on buying a Stilo

Stanley_Cooper

Hello all, I have been reading this site for around a week and thought it would be best to join as i'm wanting to buy a new Stilo in a few weeks time (hopefully!)

I was wondering if anyone had used the website www.drivethedeal.com to purchase your car and if anyone has had any problems. I have found a quote for the 3rd 1.9JTD Dynamic with Skyroof and mp3 player for £11036.90 which to me sounds like a bargain!

Do you think this is to good to be true or shall I take the plunge and purchase the car, or take many quotes I have found and try to haggle with my local dealer :confused:

I doubt very much that my dealer will be able to match that price.

Stan....

Hi and welcome! There's no way the dealer could match that spec and that price, so it looks a bargain! hopefully its standard UK spec etc and brand new also hopefully no massive wait for it!

I suspect that the vehicle will be a paralell (Sp) import (imported from another eu country), check what is included in the price... I'd expect that there may be a few hidden goodies such as delivery etc...

I'm assuming that the vehicles are new, as opposed to pre-reg, or used. If this is the case then it sounds like a good deal.

Make sure you fully read the terms and conditions of the sale, see exactly what is included, who is responsible for what costs etc... And most importantly check that you have adiquate insurance on any money you hand over (i.e. pay by credit card for the deposite and get gap insurance on your loan... also even if you can afford the car out right you may be better off paying for it with loaned money, the insurance is usually worth the extra interest if it all goes pete tong).

I think the message I'm trying to say is: do your research about what the origin of the car is, check the history of the company, search the internet for complaints to local newspapers etc... see if there is a theme, phone a few dealers, and see if you can't get the same deal at a local dealer, some paralell imports are not as good deals as they used to be.

Re: One More Thing

Be ware of dodgy dealers! Some FIAT dealers will try not to deal with paralell import cars, but they have to, it's eu law. The warrenty is pan-European, which means that you get the same warrenty where ever you are in europe.

Pan-European warrenty also applies to vehicles that are from the UK and are currently in europe (say on holiday) warrenty work can be done at any franchised FIAT dealer FOC.

Thanks for the info Alex,

I have done some research about this company www.drivethedeal.com and they seem legit. Had a look on parkers.co.uk and a few other websites and it seems like a good company to deal with, but as you say I am wary of the price being so cheap.

Oh and this is a full uk spec car, not an import.

From the info I have read it that they find a dealer who can do this deal. You then give a deposit to this dealer and deal with them only from then on. The website just finds the deal I believe.

Ive got quite a few quotes so i'm going to see what they can offer me. BTW my local is Warrington Fiat Caledonia.

Also lets hope they can at least match the whatcar target price at least!!

Stan...

Also watch out if it ends up being an import, 'cos it WILL affect your insurance. Regardless of what you tell them, they will assume its a grey import and charge you accordingly! :(

Thats £3.5k more than i paid for my 1.2, although you'll get more goodies, it apparently takes 56,000 miles, 3 years roughly for typical average driver these days (AA research) before you'll start to make back your extra cost, probably another 3 years before you recover the outlay. If your planning on keeping the car for 6 years then the JTD is an excellent buy. If you plan on selling in 1-2 years, go for a 1.4 or 1.6.

Hi Stiloboy,

Hopefully planning to keep it for four to five years.

Now if this deal does come true and I have some spare cash do you think I should go for the subwoofer or the 17inch Alloys...

Another thing is what colour to pick :D I do like the black. But i currently have a black punto and it's a knightmare to keep clean.

Stan..

Stanley_Cooper said:
Thanks for the info Alex,

I have done some research about this company www.drivethedeal.com and they seem legit. Had a look on parkers.co.uk and a few other websites and it seems like a good company to deal with, but as you say I am wary of the price being so cheap.

Oh and this is a full uk spec car, not an import.

From the info I have read it that they find a dealer who can do this deal. You then give a deposit to this dealer and deal with them only from then on. The website just finds the deal I believe.

Even if the car is full UK spec, this may still be an import... nothing to be scared of, EU law says that you can order any vehicle from any manufacturer in europe to the specification of any country in europe, and they have to charge you the local rate for the car (paraphrasing a bit), so you can order a UK spec RHD car from Spain if you wanted to, or a LHD french spec car from your local UK dealer. Having a Paralell import WILL NOT effect your insurance, but a GREY import (from outside europe) will. You should get a V5 that states NEW FROM FIRST REGISTRATION on it, not REGISTERED AS IMPORTED or what ever it says these days.

@Stanley - go for black mate it looks well sweet, but try to get side skirts as well coz without them in my opinion it looks a bit plain! I do agree with the keeping it clean thing, mine wont stay shiny for a week so most sunday mornings i give her a freshner!

Thanks for the help Alex,

I think I will have to do some further investigation about this grey imports info. Just checked on there website and it states they order cars from UK main dealerships, but i'm going to spend this weekend looking at prices.

Stiloboy when you mention the light blue do you mean the melano blue...I really like that colour although I am tempted by the black again.

Stan... :D

Just looking at the pictures on your website blackJTD. I do like Twincams Alloys... How come you can't get them as an option when purchasing the car I wonder??

Stan...

Great... All sounds like a good deal. I hope you get the car you wish for, it's always nice to get a bargain, especially when it comes to something so expensive!

Perhaps let the forum know how you get on...

Good luck, hope to see some pics on here soon!

Back