Technical Newbie introduction and a few Panda questions

Currently reading:
Technical Newbie introduction and a few Panda questions

rikdogg

Hi everyone... I became a panda owner for the first time a couple of weeks ago when I purchased a rather snazzy 1992 CLX. The more I drive it the more I like it! :) I can't help but admire its unfussy practicality and simplicity.

I do however have a few questions, which I would be grateful if some of your more experienced Panda owners can help with.

1. The Panda has been a little slow to start in the recent damp weather (though was ok in the subzero temperatures!). It turns over for around 5 seconds and needs a bit of gas before it will fire... then runs rough (2/3 cylinders, wont rev) for another 5 seconds or so before it sorts itself out. Any ideas where I should start looking to improve the cold starting?

2. I am thinking about installing an electronic ignition - I found a universal "Gammatronix" one on ebay (tried to post the link but it wouldnt let me. Has anyone had any experience with these? Are they any good?

3. I am looking to get a roof rack. The car already has raised plastic "bars" running along each side of the roof. Can you clamp roofracks onto these bars?

4. Is anyone selling a roof rack? :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Richard

Hi and welcome to the forum:)

First thing to say is whether your Panda is a carb or injection model, 1992 was the change over year so it could be either.

If you mean the trim pieces that cover the seams that run the entire length of the roof then no you cannot clamp a roofrack onto them. You will need to find some roof bars that were fitted to late CLXs or a Sisley roofrack, both will probably be pretty hard to find I imagine.

Thanks for the quick reply! Its fuel injected - sorry should have said in my original post!

1. The Panda has been a little slow to start in the recent damp weather (though was ok in the subzero temperatures!). It turns over for around 5 seconds and needs a bit of gas before it will fire... then runs rough (2/3 cylinders, wont rev) for another 5 seconds or so before it sorts itself out. Any ideas where I should start looking to improve the cold starting?

I would first do a small service such as new spark plugs,cables,filters,oil and exchangeable stuff on ignition.

If it is injected then it already has electronic ignition, so no need for you to convert it. I had a similar starting problem earlier this year, first thing I would try is reseting the ECU, just disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. If that makes no difference, I would change the coolant temp sensor. Have a search as there are a few threads on this.

Thanks for the advice guys. The chap I bought it off claimed to have recently installed new plugs - I will take a look at them and check. Might try changing the HT leads mind, given its £10 for a set (loving the cost of Panda spares).

I will try resetting the ECU and take a look at the coolant temp sensor. I think I noticed it looked new when I bought it so will check.

Will post back and let you know how I get on.

Thanks, Richard

Back