Newbie Ducato 1999

Currently reading:
Newbie Ducato 1999

Paul 1999 ducato

Hi. I bought a 1999 Ducato camper conversion, 2 weeks ago. Just been away for a week In Wales camping. It's a 2.8d. It's rather gutless, needs a turbo conversion and the alternator failed on way home. Had to get a jump start and no electrics.
Advice on turbo conversion, altenator or any advice very welcome. Also anyone know where I can get a workshop manual?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-100832_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-100832_eBay.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 62
Hi. I bought a 1999 Ducato camper conversion, 2 weeks ago. Just been away for a week In Wales camping. It's a 2.8d. It's rather gutless, needs a turbo conversion and the alternator failed on way home. Had to get a jump start and no electrics.
Advice on turbo conversion, altenator or any advice very welcome. Also anyone know where I can get a workshop manual?
Have run several of these engines in 3.5 tonne Iveco Dailys from 2.5 85hp non turbo up 2.8 Tdi 130 Hp They are a Sofim engine so you can look up a fair bit of information on them as they were used in Renaults and Citroens as well. They are solid heavy engines , not high revving, but in turbo intercooled versions well capable of 90mph, but not suitable for "Drag racing";) . Re the alternator, assuming no fuse or poor connection , the alternator may want new brushes if you are lucky, if so any cometent auto electrician should be able to strip alternator and replace then if worn. Normally early signs of worn brushes are intermittant charging light flickering on.

Thanks for reply. I was going to replace altenator but I don't know if its 85A or 120A. I sent a company on ebay my reg and engine code but they don't know either. They need a number from altenator which I can't see.
I didn't consider getting it repaired. The altenator is very old and there is alot of black powder around it.

Attachments

• 20220805_155710.jpg
    20220805_155710.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20220805_155710.jpg
    20220805_155710.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20220805_155839.jpg
    20220805_155839.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Thanks for reply. I was going to replace altenator but I don't know if its 85A or 120A. I sent a company on ebay my reg and engine code but they don't know either. They need a number from altenator which I can't see.
I didn't consider getting it repaired. The altenator is very old and there is alot of black powder around it.
I don't have any information re alternator output, can the supplier give you any dimensions, is the more powerful one bigger externally?
If they are the same, do you need to spend the extra on a higher output.
If you are not using the Ducato at present, why not take it off to check serial numbers if it is shot anyway?
Earlier you talked about how gutless it is, I bought an old customers 1998 2.8TDi 122Hp 3.5 tonne, pre ECU work van, if yours is pre ECU and you could get hold of a rusted old van Ducato Maxi van with a strong engine, you would have lots of cheap potential. I put the engine in a boat and was able to adjust the Bosch injector pump and the turbo to almost match the 150Hp of the V6 petrol Volvo Penta engine with half the fuel cost. It may even have a good alternator ;).
The only bad thing I recall about that van was each year the windscreen had to be replaced for the Mot due to body flex causing the windscreens to crack, mind you hard driving staff and overloaded may have contributed. The Ducato doesn't have a separate chassis like the Ivecos I favoured, though that did give it a higher payload!

Back