Newb to the audio scene buying some stuff...

Currently reading:
Newb to the audio scene buying some stuff...

Drake-o

Hi,

Ive read through some of the guides etc. on here and have a vague idea of what im buying and then what im doing.

I think what im going for is: new headunit, speakers, amp for the speakers, sub, amp for the sub... Most of the places ive been looking at have been doing wiring kits with the products, but what i want to know is whether im going to need the bits like the fascias etc. and adaptor plates... its all going in a '94 uno (with the front speakers in the dash)

And whether i will need anything else car specific? (ill take a picture of the connectors in the DIN slot tomorrow... they look too new to be standard and im not sure if i will need an adaptor cable?)

Some recommendations on kit would also be really useful... Ive been looking at JBL stuff because i read something about them being the best of the cheaper brands on here somewhere... Ive got a budget of about £300 and i dont really mind leaving the sub out.

Cheers,

James

I have not personally used JBL stuff, but it is well thought of in terms of quality vs price. For your budget I would personally recommend leaving the sub and amp out for now and possibly also just running the speakers off the headunit until later. Spend your £300 on a good headunit (with at least two preouts) and a good set of component speakers. Leave some of your budget for installation. The way the speakers are mounted often makes more of a difference to sound quality than the speakers themselves.

Cheers ill do that!

Whats the best way of mounting them then? and will i need to buy any extra bits for fitting them?

rite invest in a good head unit, source and start of any system

good front COMPONENTS, not co-axial

good installation is sound deadening and wires etc

also you can get a sub&amp&wires for 80 quid, cheap and may add that missing low freq for a while until you fancy doing an upgrade

Re: Installation. It really depends how far you wish to go and how large the speakers are you want to fit. Where are the standard speakers located. The bass units in the component set will probably work best in either the doors or footwells. If your car already has speakers in one of these two places it makes the job much easier. Perhaps then you just need some soundproofing or maybe an adaptor ring made to fit them. If there are no standard locations which are suitable it gets a bit harder.... The tweeters in the set are usually best mounted on the A pillars. This can involve a bit of fabrication work. Sometimes fixing them temporarily with blue tack or similar is useful to see where they sound best. You want to try and get the vocals to sound as if they are coming from as far in front of you as possible and from level or slightly above you just as if you were at a live concert.

Back