Technical New User - Various FIAT Punto problems

Currently reading:
Technical New User - Various FIAT Punto problems

HanaRizzle

I bought a red Fiat Punto X reg (2001) a few weeks ago. I've got a few issues i'd like advice on how to sort out quickly (and cheaply if possible).

*Rear left side of the car makes a slight clanging noise, i'm told my suspension has "gone" is there a way of checking this, if it has gone, is it expensive to fix...

*The car cuts out in the cold and feels like a force is pulling against it when i'm driving in low gear (i think this may be spark plugs but any other suggestions welcome...)

*My stereo doesn't turn off when i turn my car off, do i need it somehow wired to the ignition switch, will this help or is this likely to cause damage?

*There are numerous scratches (from careless muppets who can't put the key in the hole properly) around the boot and also drivers door. Whats my best option on sorting this, it's quite badly scratched the paintwork...

*My fan heater doesnt blow out hot air (but a light appeared briefly on the dash which was red and looked like waved lines with a long stick out of the top of them. I didnt get a proper look as it went off, i can only imagine something needs refilling but any idea's what??)

Before someone says it, I have called the guy i bought it from, who didn't address any of these issues before purchase, surprise surprise he's not being very helpful... But it is a nice little punto so i do want to smarten it up!!

Any help would be greeeatly appreciated!!! :)

ta;ling about the scratches it all dpeends really on how deep they are can u tell if they are primer or down to bear metal would be my first question... i might suggest some Meguiars Scratch X as a possible solution and then a touch up pen as an extra solution although to make it blend into the paint work requires abit more skill http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127 the guide here from DW is useful for helping to repair scratches etc.

do you know when the car last had a service would be a possible start i.e changing sparks, air filter, oil and oil filter etc. etc???

According to the guy i bought it from it had recently been serviced.
Trouble with the suspension thing it's only really noticable when more people are in the car. If i'm driving alone then i only realise when i go over bumps/level crossings, that kind of thing.

The scratches aren't very deep i don't think. I'm hoping it's not an expensive job though.. I spent so much on my last car before it got broken into and i hated it. Want to make this one look really smart!! :D

if your up for detailing then get on Detailing World.....as well as few members from here on on there.....

as for the suspension...hmmm...i will be honest not entirely my field of expertise....personally i spend time making it clean and shiny....to which some people think im mad....

Thanks i've just checked that link out, looks really helpful (although being a girl i'd probably make a pigs ear of it) i might see if i can get a friend to have a go...
If it goes wrong i know someone that has a body spraying business haha!!! But obviously i'd rather avoid having to pay that price for minor scratches!

I checked them just now and theyre not too deep. I think the baby just needs some TLC!!! :D

I bought a red Fiat Punto X reg (2001) a few weeks ago. I've got a few issues i'd like advice on how to sort out quickly (and cheaply if possible).

*Rear left side of the car makes a slight clanging noise, i'm told my suspension has "gone" is there a way of checking this, if it has gone, is it expensive to fix... The exhaust may be loose and hitting something underneath when fully loaded, suspension checks ar usually straightforward but its a dirty job, damper and spring need removing / checking by a competent person.
*The car cuts out in the cold and feels like a force is pulling against it when i'm driving in low gear (i think this may be spark plugs but any other suggestions welcome...) I'd start with a full Service, the seller may be lying and you simply dont know, could just be plugs and / or dirty air filter, at least doing a full service will move you a step on.
*My stereo doesn't turn off when i turn my car off, do i need it somehow wired to the ignition switch, will this help or is this likely to cause damage?
Unless you are competent with electrics and wiring this might be an auto electrician job, maybe you have a friend who could help, its always good IMO to isolate the radio electrically whenever you leave the car.
*There are numerous scratches (from careless muppets who can't put the key in the hole properly) around the boot and also drivers door. Whats my best option on sorting this, it's quite badly scratched the paintwork...Dealt with in above Posts.

*My fan heater doesnt blow out hot air (but a light appeared briefly on the dash which was red and looked like waved lines with a long stick out of the top of them. I didnt get a proper look as it went off, i can only imagine something needs refilling but any idea's what??) Check the radiator and expansion tank have coolant in to the correct level (not NOT JUST WATER) Lack of coolant will stop you getting hot air. Also, you may have an air lock in the cooling system which will do the same thing, this needs bleeding out.
Before someone says it, I have called the guy i bought it from, who didn't address any of these issues before purchase, surprise surprise he's not being very helpful... But it is a nice little punto so i do want to smarten it up!!

See above in blue font. HTH :)

See above in blue font. HTH :)

Can i get coolant from Halfords and places like that, and is it easy to top up/check?

Thank you so much for all your help by the way guys.

i know quite a few people that build/repair/modify cars so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue (or expense) getting these problems sorted!

(y)

Can i get coolant from Halfords and places like that, and is it easy to top up/check?

Thank you so much for all your help by the way guys.

i know quite a few people that build/repair/modify cars so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue (or expense) getting these problems sorted!

(y)

Ideally you should use what Fiat recomend in their Owners Manual but realistically you are looking for any antifreeze that meets that minimum specification, Halfords may have some. Checking is a visual thing, as long as you can see through the expansion tank, its plastic with a big plastic cap on it, probably be a dirty brow-ish colour by now, I think the level should be about halfway. There is loads on this site about getting air locks out of cooling systems on Puntos. I am assuming here that the fan blows OK just the air is always cold, can you hear the fan when you switch it on?

Ideally you should use what Fiat recomend in their Owners Manual but realistically you are looking for any antifreeze that meets that minimum specification, Halfords may have some. Thanks, i'll look in the manual when i finish work. Checking is a visual thing, as long as you can see through the expansion tank, its plastic with a big plastic cap on it, probably be a dirty brow-ish colour by now, I think the level should be about halfway. There is loads on this site about getting air locks out of cooling systems on Puntos. I am assuming here that the fan blows OK just the air is always cold, can you hear the fan when you switch it on? Yeah that's right, it blows out (only when on setting 4 though for some reason) but only cold air.. I can hear it only on heat setting 4, 1-2 and 3 don't have any difference at all, they just feel switched off.
:eek:

The stereo does switch off automatically after about 20 mins. Not sure though if you can wire it up so it turns off with the engine.

*Rear left side of the car makes a slight clanging noise, i'm told my suspension has "gone" is there a way of checking this, if it has gone, is it expensive to fix...

*The car cuts out in the cold and feels like a force is pulling against it when i'm driving in low gear (i think this may be spark plugs but any other suggestions welcome...)

*There are numerous scratches (from careless muppets who can't put the key in the hole properly) around the boot and also drivers door. Whats my best option on sorting this, it's quite badly scratched the paintwork...

*My fan heater doesnt blow out hot air (but a light appeared briefly on the dash which was red and looked like waved lines with a long stick out of the top of them. I didnt get a proper look as it went off, i can only imagine something needs refilling but any idea's what??)

I used THIS GUIDE to fix this problem, took 5 mins. All that is required is some stereo removal keys, which are available in any motor shop, and some brute force;)

The stereo whether default or aftermarket doesn't turn on/off with the ignition, it's just how Punto's were built.

Can I ask, did the car come with a full service history when you purchased it?
This should detail all of the things that were serviced/changed prior to your purchase - (when the seller allegedly took it for service recently before hand)

The stereo whether default or aftermarket doesn't turn on/off with the ignition, it's just how Punto's were built.

Can I ask, did the car come with a full service history when you purchased it?
This should detail all of the things that were serviced/changed prior to your purchase - (when the seller allegedly took it for service recently before hand)

The seller is not returning calls/emails at all! So i couldnt possibly tell you. I didn't get a service history booklet and i can't honestly remember what the spec said on Autotrader...

Left in a bit of a predicament really! :(

If its the standard stereo (blaupunkt make) it should be able to turn off with the ignition. Check through the settings on the radio. I know on mine i can either have it go off with the ignition of 20 minutes after i switch off the ignition.

A quick check todo regarding the sevrice history, - pull out the oil dipstick and see what colour the oil is, if its dirty black it hasnt been changed in a while and you can imagine other service items havent been done either (spark plugs, coolant change etc...) if its clean oil (should a bit see through light browny colour) its fresher oil. It dosent mean anything else serviceable has been changed but at least you will know the oil is fresh.

Last edited:
Ive seen the problem with your exhaust loads of times its an after market one which hits on the rear beam genuine ones dont do this as they are made better.:worship:

Back