124 Spider (Classic) New to forum and just made my new classic 124 purchase

Currently reading:
124 Spider (Classic) New to forum and just made my new classic 124 purchase

Hello all,

New to the forum and joined to help me gain knowledge of the 124 spider (1981 2000 Fi) I have just bought.

I've always loved the early cars and a couple of years ago I bought a new 124 Abarth after picking up my wife's 500s. Since then a baby has come along and the 500s got changed to a 500x! (managed to keep hold of the 124, though not sure where the baby is going to sit!!).

Anyway, the above re-kindled my interest in the older 124 spiders and I started to look about for one. Managed to pick up a low mileage (19k) Spider 2000 fi in a not so fetching colour of beige, with beige interior and a beige hood. Now maybe it was a period colour, but the 12 years it spent in a single garage didn't do it any favours...lets just say it needs a bit a of work. Structurally sound, but micro blisters in the paint all over, trim ok, engine not running but turning over, but generally unloved and dirty. Its a shame really, it was tidy when he first bought it but barely used it. I think its been out 3 times between 2008-2009 and then brought out 2 times a year to have a wash and put away again

The plan is to get it running (fuel injection pump is not running, I suspect that's a good place to start) then have a think.

I'm into classic road rallying (not the forest stuff) and was building a '67 mgb roadster for a new car, but I'm thinking maybe the 124 (dont shoot me!). Things like the Pirelli Marathon type events, Hero events and the like. There are loads of MGB's, but I cant remember seeing a 124, which is odd considering their history when you think about it.

We will see, but was wondering, where the hell do I get a hardtop for it in the UK? does anyone, will anyone send one here?

Dave

Hello all,

New to the forum and joined to help me gain knowledge of the 124 spider (1981 2000 Fi) I have just bought.

I've always loved the early cars and a couple of years ago I bought a new 124 Abarth after picking up my wife's 500s. Since then a baby has come along and the 500s got changed to a 500x! (managed to keep hold of the 124, though not sure where the baby is going to sit!!).

Anyway, the above re-kindled my interest in the older 124 spiders and I started to look about for one. Managed to pick up a low mileage (19k) Spider 2000 fi in a not so fetching colour of beige, with beige interior and a beige hood. Now maybe it was a period colour, but the 12 years it spent in a single garage didn't do it any favours...lets just say it needs a bit a of work. Structurally sound, but micro blisters in the paint all over, trim ok, engine not running but turning over, but generally unloved and dirty. Its a shame really, it was tidy when he first bought it but barely used it. I think its been out 3 times between 2008-2009 and then brought out 2 times a year to have a wash and put away again

The plan is to get it running (fuel injection pump is not running, I suspect that's a good place to start) then have a think.

I'm into classic road rallying (not the forest stuff) and was building a '67 mgb roadster for a new car, but I'm thinking maybe the 124 (dont shoot me!). Things like the Pirelli Marathon type events, Hero events and the like. There are loads of MGB's, but I cant remember seeing a 124, which is odd considering their history when you think about it.

We will see, but was wondering, where the hell do I get a hardtop for it in the UK? does anyone, will anyone send one here?

Dave
I just got one yesterday. Mine is the 1978 model 124 spider. Welcome to the club

Back