New purchases....

Currently reading:
New purchases....

Well yesterday i went and bought the 2 12's i've wanted for ages for £100 brand new from halfrauds (i know but they were doing a great deal) for £100 together. I bought 2 Infinity reference 1240w subs. They run at 300watt RMS, and although i know this isnt that great for 12's boy do they perform well and look gorgeous. I was hoping somebody could tell me amp to get as im wanting to fit in with the colour scheme as well. Im wanting something mostly dark grey/black or silver. I wuld appreciate if someone like chaos would post some good info up. I have around a £150 budget for this amp, but i am also getting a 10" version of the same and the 17cm Infinity reference componets kit in the near future. ANY help would be appreciated. The specs are below the pics:

PIC01385.JPG

PIC01382.JPG

PIC01383.JPG

PIC01386.JPG

Single 4-ohm voice coil
Sensitivity 93db
Freq. Response - 23hz-400hz
Power Handling 300w-1,200w
Peak power handling 1,200w

ANy help pr advice would be appreciated, thankyou

You want an amp that'll put out 600WRMS @ 2ohm, with the subs wired in parallel, as shown here

By wiring the subs in parallel, the amp would see 2 ohm impedance :)

Potential amps:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=4134&cadid=2fe82beb283a19039c426734753d9bd0

580WRMS @ 2ohm, £150

If you can stretch the budget a bit further:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pro...d=4607&cadid=2fe82beb283a19039c426734753d9bd0

650WRMS @ 2ohm, £180

IMO, the second one would probably suit you best - it is better to slightly overpower the speakers than the amp, and it'd fit into your design better.

Have you considered using a false floor and totally hiding the amp? You would need to use forced cooling, but that isn't a big problem :)

Last edited:
Thanks chaos (y)

I hadnt ruled out sinking the sub into the floor and using 2 or three PC fans, but i was hoping to display it, although this is wishful thinking as i have a MK1 punto, 2 12's a 10 and an Amp is very much pushing it especailly as i am using the correct air space per box for each one, :eek:

I do like the look of that blaupunkt one, although id say with all these options i would need another amp to amp my component set and 10" sub - maybe i shoudl look at the cheap and tacky amps:( ?

punto_jr_sx75 said:
I do like the look of that blaupunkt one, although id say with all these options i would need another amp to amp my component set and 10" sub - maybe i shoudl look at the cheap and tacky amps:( ?

TBH I don't know how 1 10 with 2 12s would sound. If it was me, I would stick to just the 2 12s. What sort of comps are we talking about here, and a budget for the amp? You might be able to pick up a really good amp for a bargain price - you don't necesarily have to buy new :)

Well something like these components:

http://motors.search.ebay.co.uk/Infinity_In-Car-Entertainment-GPS_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfltZ9QQfromZR10QQfrtsZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfstypeZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsacatZ3270

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INFINITY-6510cs-17cm-270W-component-car-speakers_W0QQitemZ5853449989QQcategoryZ3292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Propably the 2nd link as first are ridiculously priced IMO.

Like i said, £150 for the Amp i can stretch to, and another amp if neccesary. I would consider another amp, there is a place near me that does perfectly re-conditoned ones, always flawless finishes too which i like :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
punto_jr_sx75 said:
Well something like these components:

http://motors.search.ebay.co.uk/Infinity_In-Car-Entertainment-GPS_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfltZ9QQfromZR10QQfrtsZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfstypeZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQga10244Z10425QQsacatZ3270

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INFINITY-6510cs-17cm-270W-component-car-speakers_W0QQitemZ5853449989QQcategoryZ3292QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Propably the 2nd link as first are ridiculously priced IMO.

Like i said, £150 for the Amp i can stretch to, and another amp if neccesary. I would consider another amp, there is a place near me that does perfectly re-conditoned ones, always flawless finishes too which i like :)

You're going to have to have 2 amps - you wouldn't get an amp that would run both subs together with a set of comps.

What about the 10" sub? Are you still thinking about going for it, or are you sticking to 2 12s?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
chaos said:
You're going to have to have 2 amps - you wouldn't get an amp that would run both subs together with a set of comps.

What about the 10" sub? Are you still thinking about going for it, or are you sticking to 2 12s?

Im afriad i really will have to stick with the 10 as well as i have heard the tri set-up in another car and it kept up quicker which sunded-in the 12's, hard to explain but it was impressive.

I think it would be best I deffinatly aim at a 2nd hand amp, and maybe get 2 of the same. Run the 2 12's off one and the 10 with the component set off another. The component set is going in the rear shelf as i do not like the whole popular 6x9's type thing - i have fitted so many into cars i am bored of them, yes alot of them give good sound but - meh! I dont like very much!

I dont think theres an infinity amp that would run the 12's on their own for under £150 either :(

punto_jr_sx75 said:
I think i will get that amp. and use it purely for the components and get an 800w RMS 4 Channel that will run my 2 infinity 12"'s and the 1 10" i am planning to get - this one: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5778.htmlhttp://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...nfinity+10+Subwoofer+1042W&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=

Do you think that would work?

You've been a massive help so far thankyou (y)

I would have the JBL 4 channel powering the comps and the 10" sub, with the Blaupunkt amp powering the 2 12s TBH

The link is for your 10" Infinity sub and not of an amp :p

chaos said:
I would have the JBL 4 channel powering the comps and the 10" sub, with the Blaupunkt amp powering the 2 12s TBH

The link is for your 10" Infinity sub and not of an amp :p

Sorry :eek: i plan to do as you have said, you've been a great help, and i just need to know one more thing, will the 10" andcompent sets be alright with what the amp is powering ohm wise? thats the only real thing i struggle with :eek:

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Sorry :eek: i plan to do as you have said, you've been a great help, and i just need to know one more thing, will the 10" andcompent sets be alright with what the amp is powering ohm wise? thats the only real thing i struggle with :eek:

Bugger :bang:. I didn't notice it was 4 ohm DVC. You could get it to show either a 8 or 2 ohm load....... I can't find anything about the 75.4 running at 2 ohm. TBH I don't think that you can get a multi channel amp running at 2 different impedances, in this case, 2 and 4 ohm simultaneously. I think you're gonna need a 4 ohm SVC sub to work with the comp & sub setup, or a 2 ohm DVC as you wire that to show 4 ohm to the amp.

chaos said:
Bugger :bang:. I didn't notice it was 4 ohm DVC. You could get it to show either a 8 or 2 ohm load....... I can't find anything about the 75.4 running at 2 ohm. TBH I don't think that you can get a multi channel amp running at 2 different impedances, in this case, 2 and 4 ohm simultaneously. I think you're gonna need a 4 ohm SVC sub to work with the comp & sub setup, or a 2 ohm DVC as you wire that to show 4 ohm to the amp.

Right, ive made a quick decision. I going to buy that JBL to run the components only - that should work shouldnt it? And up my budget to £200 and buy a 3 channel amp to run the 10 and the 2 12's off of. Think that'll work? I've just bought the component set on ebay too :D

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Right, ive made a quick decision. I going to buy that JBL to run the components only - that should work shouldnt it? And up my budget to £200 and buy a 3 channel amp to run the 10 and the 2 12's off of. Think that'll work? I've just bought the component set on ebay too :D

Yeah, doing what you're intending to do with the 4 channel amp should work. BUT, if you're intending to run just comps, then it might be easier (and cheaper) to get a 100x2 WRMS ish amp, such as the JBL 75.2? Unless, of course, you've bought 2 sets of comps :D

punto_jr_sx75 said:
And up my budget to £200 and buy a 3 channel amp to run the 10 and the 2 12's off of. Think that'll work?

No :( It doesn't sound right to me at all. You 'd need a 300WRMS x 3 @ 2 ohm amp to do it, and I haven't seen any, let alone any within your budget. I'm also pretty sure I read that having 2 different subs wired together isn't a good idea as well (n)

:chin: If you're hell bent on having that 10" Infinity, then this is what I would do:

The 2 ohm Blaupunkt powering the 2 12s
The 75.2/75.4 powering the comps
The 10" powered by a 250-300 WRMS @ 2 ohm amp.

TBH, I can't see any way of having less than 3 amps for this system. If anyone knows different, by all means say so :)
If you had a 4 ohm SVC sub instead of the 4 ohm DVC, then you can use 2 amps - the Blaupunkt (2 12s) and the 75.4 (comps and 10" sub), for example.

Last edited:
Back