General New panda this week!

Currently reading:
General New panda this week!

Kezzaaj88

Hi all. I've been away from the forum for some years now as I've not had a Fiat in a while but I've just won a 1992 panda on eBay which I'll be picking up Friday! Yay! Just a couple of questions though.

1. The brakes are apparently spongy so what would be the common issue with that?

2. I'll be using to carry 2 downhill mountain bikes so wondered if anyone has any experience with roof bars and where I can get them from?

3. Do they still do fiatforum stickers? My last pandas had stickers which I brought from the site but can't see where to get them from now

These might seem like dumb questions but just thought I'd ask anyway.
Thanks all

This will be my new baby!!!! So excited!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170409-202457.jpg
    Screenshot_20170409-202457.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi all. I've been away from the forum for some years now as I've not had a Fiat in a while but I've just won a 1992 panda on eBay which I'll be picking up Friday! Yay! Just a couple of questions though.

1. The brakes are apparently spongy so what would be the common issue with that?

2. I'll be using to carry 2 downhill mountain bikes so wondered if anyone has any experience with roof bars and where I can get them from?

3. Do they still do fiatforum stickers? My last pandas had stickers which I brought from the site but can't see where to get them from now

These might seem like dumb questions but just thought I'd ask anyway.
Thanks all
Good job on winning the auction for the Panda, always nice to see one snatched up by a forum-goer and looking forward to seeing the progress on it!

I haven't dealt with brakes so can't help you on question 1 but I can answer 2 and 3.

2) the roof bars on the Pandas are fairly rare, there's a few different types but the main two that were available in the UK to my knowledge were the CLX/Selecta/4x4 type and the Sisley 4x4 type. The CLX/Selecta/4x4 one was just the two bars, attached to the car by drilling into the roof, you'd need to buy other bars to go between the two. My friend recently saw a Panda with these two roof bars with two Thule locking bars going across them to carry their bikes. Bear in mind you will have to drill holes in the roof for this one.

The Sisley roof rack attached using different mounts that you don't need to drill into the roof for, just attached behind the boot at the top (two screws) and two metal clip type things that attach on the top of each door (from the roof and wraps underneath to keep it tight to it). This roof rack is rare and tends to rust away, not sure about the usage of this one for bikes, there was one on eBay recently but think it sold between £100 and £200.

The roof bars from the CLX tend to be easier to find and a lot cheaper at around £50 (I think?), though the two things you need to remember on this one are the drilling of holes in the roof and you'll need to buy some bars to go across them that can hold bikes so that's an additional cost.

Some others on the forum may have an easier way around with the roof rack but that's what I know so far mate!

3) Yes, Fiat Forum stickers are available from the Fiat Forum Shop, can be found on the top row of sections on the forum but I've got the three pack of stickers linked for you (better value than just getting one on its own but you'll be able to find the one if you don't want to buy 3): http://www.fiatalia.com/FIATForum.com-Stickers-3-Pack.html

Thanks everyone for your help. As for the roof bars, think I might just stick to a rear carrier. Don't want to drill holes in my baby!
Another question. My partner will be putting it on a trailer but he needs to know the tyre width for some reason. Do you know what the width is? They are standard wheels for the panda

It's not the width of tyres. It's actually the width from tyre to tyre

2) the roof bars on the Pandas are fairly rare, there's a few different types but the main two that were available in the UK to my knowledge were the CLX/Selecta/4x4 type and the Sisley 4x4 type. The CLX/Selecta/4x4 one was just the two bars, attached to the car by drilling into the roof, you'd need to buy other bars to go between the two. My friend recently saw a Panda with these two roof bars with two Thule locking bars going across them to carry their bikes. Bear in mind you will have to drill holes in the roof for this one.

The Sisley roof rack attached using different mounts that you don't need to drill into the roof for, just attached behind the boot at the top (two screws) and two metal clip type things that attach on the top of each door (from the roof and wraps underneath to keep it tight to it). This roof rack is rare and tends to rust away, not sure about the usage of this one for bikes, there was one on eBay recently but think it sold between £100 and £200.

The roof bars from the CLX tend to be easier to find and a lot cheaper at around £50 (I think?), though the two things you need to remember on this one are the drilling of holes in the roof and you'll need to buy some bars to go across them that can hold bikes so that's an additional cost.

Some others on the forum may have an easier way around with the roof rack but that's what I know so far mate!

I think the OP is after removable roof bars (Part of the roof rack Fiat used to sell), which you can probably find in pattern part form a lot easier and cheaper than the longitudinal bars tbh, and won't require modification to the vehicle.

I've a pair of OEM Fiat units, but these I believe have been discontinued. Fit with rubber mounts on the roof over the black trim.

I think the OP is after removable roof bars (Part of the roof rack Fiat used to sell), which you can probably find in pattern part form a lot easier and cheaper than the longitudinal bars tbh, and won't require modification to the vehicle.

I've a pair of OEM Fiat units, but these I believe have been discontinued. Fit with rubber mounts on the roof over the black trim.

If anyone can find these available as aftermarket parts I'd be interested. I'm thinking of fabricating my own roof rack as I can't seem to find an affordable option which will do the trick. I recon if I were carrying bikes by Panda with no existing roof rack I'd go for a rear carrier. Sadly Kayaks are not so easy!

Just looked back at the auction, got yourself a bargain there, super cool car (y).

Yeah well chuffed! 257 quid and my partners doing most of the work to bring her up to new again :) really excited now! Friday can't come quick enough! I've had 2 pandas before. One being the sisley which needed too much work but the other one I traded in for a new 500 which I regret :( so this one will be a keeper and a summer runner only as I've got a bigger car for a all rounder

If anyone can find these available as aftermarket parts I'd be interested. I'm thinking of fabricating my own roof rack as I can't seem to find an affordable option which will do the trick. I recon if I were carrying bikes by Panda with no existing roof rack I'd go for a rear carrier. Sadly Kayaks are not so easy!

Yeah will go for rear carrier if I use it for bikes. Won't use it all the time for the bikes cause I got a big honda crv that I can chuck the bikes in. Lol

Yeah same with the Kayaks, got a volvo estate to cart them around but got some holidays planned where I'd like to take the Panda and the Kayaks(y). Even better in June we're up in Scotland, I'm hoping to take my motorcycle, my other half the panda, best of both worlds, go for a paddle and then a ride out :slayer:

Yeah will go for rear carrier if I use it for bikes. Won't use it all the time for the bikes cause I got a big honda crv that I can chuck the bikes in. Lol

Yeah same with the Kayaks, got a volvo estate to cart them around but got some holidays planned where I'd like to take the Panda and the Kayaks(y). Even better in June we're up in Scotland, I'm hoping to take my motorcycle, my other half the panda, best of both worlds, go for a paddle and then a ride out :slayer:

That sounds awesome! I was also considering a tow bar to get a mounted rack but can't seem to find one anywhere.

I was also considering a tow bar to get a mounted rack but can't seem to find one anywhere.

I can help you on this matter, where do you base mate? as postage is pricy due to weight. Unless you're fine to get the main frame so you can source any fixings and the "ball" from your local caravan supplier.

Are there any pictures of the removable roof bars about? You say part of the roof rack Fiat used to sell, though I'm not sure I've seen any on a Panda that aren't longitudinal or a Sisley type (or longitudinal with bars across)!

This is the roof rack.
IMG_30361.JPG

Mine is missing the longintudinal bars going across the frame. Sisley bars ones are parpendicular to vehicle longintudinal axis.

I've seen that Italiand does extends the side frame to get almost full roof lenght

Last edited:
I can help you on this matter, where do you base mate? as postage is pricy due to weight. Unless you're fine to get the main frame so you can source any fixings and the "ball" from your local caravan supplier.

I'm based in Leicester.

Back