General new panda owner questions

Currently reading:
General new panda owner questions

Alan.D said:
Dave looks like it has the electronic box at the back (which all 4x4's should have) so will have to get one the same. i was going to give Tony one but he didn't want it.
I have got one spare for the moment Alan, so having two spare would just be plain hoarding.

Alan.D said:
:)

Anyway have you got it running yet?
yes, it's at the local garage awaiting the fitment of a new fuel tank and the lights need sorting but that shouldn't take long... and new rear dampers... as the ones i put on were bottoming out almost with just the weight of the car... So i invested in some rear gas dampers.

rubber was not a problem for the suspension... but i have bought new anyway so i will get around to fixing that myself later.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave (y) , he pointed out that I need a new one of them. I also need the warm air feed pipe that goes from manifold into airbox. I'm sure I have seen similer in Halfords.

He said underneath looks ok and had a poke at my tank. Thumping noise was the exhaust bangin on underside, the rubber that holds the tail pipe up has alot of play. Would a new one be stiffer?

I noticed the grating/grinding noise was coming from drivers rear. Do the rear leaf springs rub together? As from a novice POV that is the only thing I can think is happening

I tried to put a newish CD player in the car today and it has the old style wiring. Are there any adaptors available that will update the wiring to accept the new ISO connector or is it a 'bodge job'

It really enjoyed it's 250 mile run yesterday and didnt miss a beat :D

We counted the canoes and I have 12 :eek:

Scraping noise from rear: Is this when moving? Is it constant?

More likely to be something rotating if it is. Possible culprits could be either brake shoes worn down to the metal/lining fallen off or wheel bearing. If the car has been standing for a long time it may just be surface rust wearing off when you brake. If the car has been standing for a VERY long time then the inside surface of the drum/s may be badly corroded.

Try jacking up the back of the car and rotating the suspect wheel. Make sure all the wheel bolts are tight, hold the wheel firmly at top and bottom and try to pull and push in opposite directions. If it has any 'wobble' then the wheel bearing is worn. Put the handbrake on very lightly and rotate the wheel by hand. If you get a scraping noise then the brake shoes or drum need looking at.

Dave looked today and i have that bit spare if req'd, Gas the hot air pipe can be bought from motor factors or ebay at very little cost. The CD player won't be bodged if you solder the wires and a much better connection than a multi-plug.

Would need to be there for the scraping/grating sound can someone drive it whilst you listen or get them to drive past you slowly but not running you over.

Back